Your TEAM SCHEDULE vs the competition levels.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Taking a look at the schedule of games teams have.

What % of your team schedule is playing equal level competition?

What % of your team schedule does your team overpower the team your playing?
( probability your team is going to win)

What % of your team schedule is your team the underdog?
( probability your team is going to lose)

Taking a look at the schedule of games your team has vs the levels of competition you are playing ~
Do you think an adjustment in your schedule is necessary?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Taking a look at our team (High School), we are forced to play a conference schedule against some weaker teams. Most of the remaining games, we try to schedule against teams in our section of the state (Teams are seeded into the state tournament). The remaining games, we look for teams and pitchers that will challenge our roster and simulate what we will ultimately see as we progress in the tournament.
The coaches have moved away from scheduling non conference weak teams trying to find games that will challenge our roster.

Jan 20, 2023
My daughter’s team won a lot of their games this fall - the coach moved them up a division in the last two tournaments where they were better matched.

I think the impact of teams moving up an age division was bigger than expected on the remaining competitive landscape.

High school next year will be interesting as a lot of teams around us had really good senior pitchers this year.

Apr 14, 2022
I think it depends on your pitching and defense level. If those will hold up reasonably well should play many better teams. Run prevention good enough to prevent blowouts, see best pitching possible.

May 18, 2019
Travel this fall
30% overpower
50% equal
20% underdog

That was after a summer where we were probably 60% overpower 30% equal 10% underdog so we moved up to 16u and started playing the hardest teams in our area.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My take:
35% over power
55% equal or competitive
10% underdog
I never expected o loose any game. So 10% is after the fact.

Jun 20, 2015
along these lines, it's imperative that coaches schedule appropriate tourneys to their team's actual skill level, not the level they are trying to 'sell' or hoping to be.

Being the underdog and getting whipped game after game, tourney after tourney....is just not smart. Especially if team is proclaiming to be a 'showcase' level team and is playing showcase level tourneys. Obviously, you're not as good as you think you are. Adjust schedule asap.

May 13, 2023
Was considering the same/ similar topic posting the question...

>> What win-loss record is an example of a good game schedule?

Being that a goal might be to have a winning season, but winning everything doesn't necessarily mean it's the best schedule.
So posted the topic as I did.

Obviously creating a playing schedule win/loss record could be buffered/ affected by the % of playing against weaker/ stronger competition.
So I went with asking % to see what people are doing and see where the conversation would go from there.

Oct 4, 2018
I think it depends on your pitching and defense level. If those will hold up reasonably well should play many better teams. Run prevention good enough to prevent blowouts, see best pitching possible.

Agreed. Our strengths are pitching and defense. We win most games, and our losses are usually low scoring affairs when our bats are cold.

We win a lot. 57-15 last summer and 15-1 this fall. We play the top competition we can and do play up an age group often.

Our pool games are usually pretty easy and we face tough competition in the last few games of the brackets.

May 13, 2023
Agreed. Our strengths are pitching and defense. We win most games, and our losses are usually low scoring affairs when our bats are cold.

We win a lot. 57-15 last summer and 15-1 this fall. We play the top competition we can and do play up an age group often.

Our pool games are usually pretty easy and we face tough competition in the last few games of the brackets.
How would you rate the competition you are facing? 50/50?
Overpowering to equivalent competition?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles