videotaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I got the opportunity last night to use my "Flip Video" camera. It worked well. I took 30 sec. or so from each direction of each pitch. Then, the camera plugs into my computer and I am basically finished.

I can look at 30 frames per second and then, mail specific frames to the girl's parents.

One girl has a leap and 2nd push off, about 6 inches in front of the plate, that isn't that obvious when I am working on other things.

The other girl has almost no push off and now, I can show her that.

I can mail the little clips to the parents or publish on YouTube. If I find a pic where the girl isn't identifiable, I will post an example here.

These cameras are less than $200.00 and can be picked up from the site or Target. Mine says mino HD on it.

Feb 6, 2009
For the same price you can get one of the casio's that do slowmotion which certainly is more helpful than 30 fps for breaking down mechanics

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am printing off the still pics from the "frames" and e-mailing them to the parent. Oh, the camera doesn't take stills. I am taking those from the video.

There appears to be no blur in the arm circle. I prefer to go frame by frame, rather than slo-motion.

Flipvideo has it's own website, which is very easy to use. I can mail the links from my video, to the parent directly from there. It can also go directly to YouTube. I am on a mac, so I send the pics directly to iPhoto.

I am a novice, so it is always fun when I find a program that I can use. I also customized my Flip from the website, with a pic of my dog. :)

Target has most of the cameras mentioned and I believe that you have 90 days to return them.

Oct 22, 2009
Great thread, and thanks Amy, I've been wanting to do just what you are doing with the pics and e-mails.
I would also prefer frame by frame than slow motion.
Amy how many pics are you getting from each pitch?
Do any of the 60fps cameras have easy programs to download and send the pics like the flip?

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The Kodak Z1x cameras that do 60fps will reduce "blur"

kodak 60fps - Google Product Search

Even better, the Casio Exilim FC100 does 400fps at a usable size (you do need good lighting)...

casio exilim fc100 - Google Product Search

cshilt, you are my new hero. I have a couple of BestBuy gift certificates and a little spare cash laying around waiting to be spent. Think I know what I'm going to spend them on!

Amy, thanks for bringing up the topic. I have used video before but it's always been a big hassle setting up a computer and camera. I like your idea of showing specific frames. I tend to use my cell phone's video capability for a quick spot-check, or to show a pitcher in particular what she's doing. This would be better since the cell phone video is pretty hard to see. To the kids it's probably like trying to read an ultrasound. I say you're doing this and they say "yeah" so they can move on.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32