Video of 1st inning of Makenzie pitching. We worked on staying tall and not scrunch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2013
over when follow through if that is what you can call it lol. First two innings 6 K's , 1 BB, no contact on any pitch. 3rd inning, she struck out 3 more, but fatigue set in, add that with her bad mechanics and she walked 5 in the 3rd inning alone, batter off other team put bat on the ball finally, a little dribbler down 3rd base line, so she finished with 9 K's, 5 BB's, 1 hit, and 3 runs, because of all the walks, then passed balls and wild pitches. She wants it bad, and is busting her butt, to try and get her mechanics down. I let her read some of the feedback on here, and it makes her want it that much more. She tried to stay tall and not lean and scrunched up, after I showed her the clips I posted on here the other day, so I was proud she pitched as well as she did, while trying something new in a game. She just throws so hard (for around here), and she's developing a pretty nasty change up, that she doesn't even need in this league, but she loves to throw it, and is going to need it more and more when she moves up to 12U next year. It's one inning about 4 minutes long, if you guys can watch it and give more feedback, it would be greatly appreciated! I know I'm a bucket dad but I enjoy this board and enjoy the feedback even if its negative, I wouldn't post it here, if help wasn't needed, I'm not on here to say "watch my daughter", I hope no one thinks that. Sorry for the book I just wrote. Here's the link.

10U Makenzie pitching in league game 5-14-13 - YouTube

Feb 28, 2013
Really hard to tell from that video but it looks like her follow through is more of a pop than a whip but from that angle and distance I would never begin to try and make any kind of judgement

Yea I wasn't the one filming, assistant coach was. It was on my HTC One X + not a "real camcorder" The sun was pointed right at our dugout. She's at 42-43 now, throwing strikes, STILL with BAD mechanics. I wish I could see what she could REALLY DO, with good mechanics, but its a double edged sword to some degree, She's throwing strikes, hitting corners, and has a change, and in that rec league we play in DD and another girl of another team throw about equally fast, the other girl has been taking pitching lessons for 3 years and mine just started in March. I know if I don't get her out of the bad mechanics its going to be that much harder to break them later. The other town has four teams, and my town, 10 minutes away has two, but we cant combine all-stars because we didn't go through their draft. So, to make loooong story short, should I change her right before district and possibly destroy her ability to throw strikes, or leave her alone as long as she is throwing strikes. We are in Southeast Arkansas, and 43 mph around here, you rarely see, If you look at her other videos they are better because we are closer up, maybe you can see what to do. I don't know what to do. I know mechanics is the most important part, so let her go or change her now Suggestions?

May 18, 2009
My oldest slumped when she was young. Straightened up as she aged. We didn't work on anything specifice. Just taked to her. I tell my youngest one to puff her chest out and up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloie