Using GoPro for skills video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A GoPro will work as well as any other video camera.

Personally, I prefer using game action to show off skills rather than having a player go through a bunch of drills on an empty field. However, this requires shooting a LOT of hours of video to get good clips. This was compiled from video taken from both a GoPro mounted to the backstop and my iPhone...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIah9ZjNUtA

That said, for a pitcher, I think workout/bullpen video is appropriate for showing off different pitches.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
All on gopro. Shoot at 2.7k at 48-60 FPS a second, but save your video at 1080. I find 60 FPS is better during daylight hours, especially when running and hitting . Just use the GoPro color white balance on auto. Exposure at -.05. Shutter at Auto. ISO at 1600. Sharp at Med. Oh and most importantly on Field of View, use Medium or better to use linear . Gets rid of the "fish eye" look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no-ugEwwRgQ&t=34s

This video was shot using all of my GoPros. Hero 6, 4 Black and 3+Black.

Originally I bought the Hero3+Black for making and recording fishing videos. Never thought I would be using them for softball???

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This is a great idea, im glad you started this thread! Something i was wondering about - has anyone shot pitching video from a Go Pro on the catcher?
When shooting skills video for DD#2, DD#1 suggested it but, long story short, we never tried it.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
This is a great idea, im glad you started this thread! Something i was wondering about - has anyone shot pitching video from a Go Pro on the catcher?
When shooting skills video for DD#2, DD#1 suggested it but, long story short, we never tried it.

I think POV view is a decent secondary view (like in a picture in picture shot). But as a primary, it will make you sick watching; too much head motion in my opinion.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I think POV view is a decent secondary view (like in a picture in picture shot). But as a primary, it will make you sick watching; too much head motion in my opinion.

This would only really work in a non-game setting if you forced your catcher to be statue still. Otherwise, you're going to get head movement and the glove & arm blocking the view, every time the catcher shifts her weight to position for different location you're going to get crummy video.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
GoPro of live game footage is fine for skills video and great for hype video.

However for a skills video, frankly the video you can take from any cell phone made since about 2014 will provide you a better quality video and tend to be less wide-angle than GoPro.

But either works. We use Samsung cellphones of tripods for our orgs skills video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy