Unsportsmanlike spectrum: you decide

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The pettiness started with @CoachJD trying to be Webster's definition police. You must be on patrol with him.
It is a discussion board. He objected to RAD’s definition of a fake tag because in the rulebook a fake tag is deemed unsportsmanlike. The rulebook doesn’t say a tag without the ball is unsportsmanlike so defining what fake actually means is important in this context as the whole thread is about unsportsmanlike behavior.

If he was arguing with me as opposed to Rad would you have cared?

Every argument/discussion on here is petty technically..we are talking about softball not world peace.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
It is a discussion board. He objected to RAD’s definition of a fake tag because in the rulebook a fake tag is deemed unsportsmanlike. The rulebook doesn’t say a tag without the ball is unsportsmanlike so defining what fake actually means is important in this context as the whole thread is about unsportsmanlike behavior.

If he was arguing with me as opposed to Rad would you have cared?

Every argument/discussion on here is petty technically..we are talking about softball not world peace.
Read his comment
That's not what fake tag means though. It does NOT mean "a tag without the ball." It means trying to trick the runner by applying a tag that has no intent of actually getting the runner out.
This is petty. Which created its own hot air. I concur that both definitions are sufficient not one being wrong. The result of both is the same.

Jun 8, 2016
You caught me @Bullseye , congrats. I’ll go with my latter opinion while conceding that, like I said, all arguments on here are petty in the big picture.

May 27, 2022
LOL you must be being silly about the verbiage.
😁 and my response..

It does exactly mean
Tag without a ball.

Exactly 'no intent on getting out'
cuz
THERE IS NO BALL IN THE GLOVE, 🙂👍
Holy mackerel LOL you're taking issue with that verbiage.

I never said in the process of making a tag the ball falls out. That would be ball in glove as the defensive player is applying the tag. Not what I said
I commented
A player 'knowing' they have dropped the ball/or never had it and then proceeding to still make a tag can be purposely fake.

You replied to my comment 🤷‍♀️ in opposition of what I said. Which was only another perspective of tricky plays.
Which I didn't argue or banter with anyone. Pointed out, Hard to tell if their intentful or not unless you're the person doing it.

🥳 ENJOY

I don't think you are going to be right with your point/comment/discussion/opinion here.

If the ball is coming to the base, it very most likely not a fake tag. If for no other reason, if the player drops the ball near the base, the runner can, most likely, see it and know that it isn't in the glove.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That other thread has really run its course (hahahah - see what I did there?), but starting another to tease out the spectrum of unsporting behavior...

NFHS, ART. 13 . . . Unsporting acts shall not be committed, including, but not limited to: a. use of words or actions to incite or try to incite spectators to demonstrate. b. use of profanity, intimidation and/or deceitful tactics, baiting or taunting; or; c. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

Choose:

a) Legitimate trickery
b) Deceitful tactic
c) Behavior not in spirit of fair play
d) Deceitful / bad spirited, but minor
I am going to assume you cant determine intent (i..e no confession, prior acts) because most of these are covered in some way by rule. Others are 'pay attention' for opposing teams - they are free outs. Going to put in what the umpire should do or at least what I do in these situations.

1. Fake Throw – fielder pretends to throw to get runner to advance or leave base (could be a ground ball to F5 with R3, or could be backpick to F3 who pretends to throw back to F1)
2. Fake Overthrow – fielders pretend throw goes into outfield to get runner to advance
3. Fake Catch – two outfielders converge on a fly ball, one of them pretends to catch ball early to get runner to advance
All legal and normal. Players need to pay attention. 1 is A. 2 & 3 are somewhat a%%hole moves but I don't have any major issues with it. Somewhere between b&c but closer to b I guess - I am certainly not going to coach it.

4. Not delivering a pitch to cause runner to leave early

Illegal pitch by rule. So irrelevant.

5. BR runs to 1b on uncaught third strike while 1b is occupied

Not much here unless they are doing this EVERY time on purpose. I have had even college coaches not know the rule and players situational awareness is sometimes off. At some point you warn and then restrict if it continues.

You often get these younger teams that are coached to run on all 3rd strikes - so you have to take this into account. There is better ways to teach dropped third, but whatever.

But if you are doing this or teaching this in an attempt to get a free base , this is C and coaching it is a total scum move.

6. BR runs to 1b on ball 3

In normal circumstances, no call, warning if felt needed (suspicious?). Restricted to bench/ejection for subsequent (any BR).

If you are teaching this then bush league, C, which is why locally we ejected a coach for multiple occurrences over several games and him gloating about it between games.

7. Intentionally missing base to gain advantage (lol, I think we know everyone’s stance on this by now)

Out on appeal.
But if you are doing this or teaching this, this is C and coaching it is a total scum move.

8. Coach calls out the wrong number of outs

No call, warning. Restricted to bench/ejection for subsequent (any BR) - again I can't read their minds so I don't know intent.
BTW, I will verbal outs if needed. "Coach it is 2 outs"

If you are doing this on purpose, then C, this is total bush league

9. Runner intentionally leaves base way before catch in attempt to score

Out on appeal
10. Team bats out of order because Teagan is 0 for 31, defense doesn’t notice

Out on appeal. Pay attention. Free out if you have a scorer paying even minimum attention.
11. R1 deliberately falls down b/w 1st and 2nd to draw throw/tag so R3 can score

No call, by rule BR can run in any stupid manner they wish.

12. Fake bunt / slash

13. Changeup…(I kid, I kid)

Legal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish