Obstruction and Earned Runs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
USSSA ruleset - no outs, R2 on 2nd base

A ground ball hit through the 5/6 hole to LF. R2 legally touches 3rd and rounds to score. The throw from LF reaches home plate about a second before the runner, but the catcher is clearly in the basepath of the runner and blocks her path to HP (including the outside corner). The catcher is able to tag the runner due to the runner having to slow from going around the catcher. Obstruction is called by the PU and they score the runner. BR ends up on 2B, advancing on the throw.

Question: Is this considered an earned or unearned run against the defense and/or should an RBI be awarded to the batter? R2 WOULD HAVE scored had the blocking not occurred (she would've been passed the catcher receiving the throw by running in a straight, unimpeded line), but I figure this cannot be assumed in the judgment of the play. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2013
If you assume the runner would have been out then you should charge the C with an error for obstruction.

It get a little tougher if you think the runner would have been safe had no obstruction occurred. Then I'm pretty sure you could rule no error and then it's an earned run.

Apr 14, 2022
USSSA ruleset - no outs, R2 on 2nd base

A ground ball hit through the 5/6 hole to LF. R2 legally touches 3rd and rounds to score. The throw from LF reaches home plate about a second before the runner, but the catcher is clearly in the basepath of the runner and blocks her path to HP (including the outside corner). The catcher is able to tag the runner due to the runner having to slow from going around the catcher. Obstruction is called by the PU and they score the runner. BR ends up on 2B, advancing on the throw.

Question: Is this considered an earned or unearned run against the defense and/or should an RBI be awarded to the batter? R2 WOULD HAVE scored had the blocking not occurred (she would've been passed the catcher receiving the throw by running in a straight, unimpeded line), but I figure this cannot be assumed in the judgment of the play. Thanks!
Did runner slow before or after catcher had the ball? Not in the scoring discussion just curious.

Mar 1, 2013
Keeping in mind that the base awards on obstruction aren't designed to be punitive, but to nullify the act of the obstruction. They are placed at the base they would have reached minus the obstruction. If the award is home, barring some other error, I'd call it earned.

Jun 1, 2015
Did runner slow before or after catcher had the ball? Not in the scoring discussion just curious.

My opinion (as the runner's coach) is that yes, she had to slow down slightly because of the catcher being in the way. She then moved to the outside of the catcher who, when she caught the ball (and due to the slowing down) was then tagged out. The PU ruled the obstruction there and scored the runner. If the catcher wasn't there, personally, I think she doesn't slow up and goes through the plate and scores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles