Is RLI a one way street?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI

With R3 on third base, B2 hits a fair ground ball to F3 who fields the ball beyond first base. F3 throws to F2 attempting to retire R3. The throw hits B2 who is running in fair territory in the last half of the distance to 1B and does not intentionally interfere with the ball.

What say you, umpires?

A: This is interference, B2 is out and R3 is returned to third base.
B: This is interference, B2 is out and R3 is out.
C: This is not interference.

May 10, 2021
I don't think I have ever seen this happen. My initial reaction without rule support....lol would be no interference.

Reasoning is the running lane was designed for plays at first base. Runners are hit between bases with throws all the time with no interference.

This play was going to be at home plate right? I have nothing but also have nothing to back me up.......

It could be a good learning day!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would guess A but I'm interested in the answer. I don't think the runner's lane enters into it. Too me it's more like a double play situation where the runner goes into second standing up and gets hit by the relay to first, which I have always assumed to be interference.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

With R3 on third base, B2 hits a fair ground ball to F3 who fields the ball beyond first base. F3 throws to F2 attempting to retire R3. The throw hits B2 who is running in fair territory in the last half of the distance to 1B and does not intentionally interfere with the ball.

What say you, umpires?

A: This is interference, B2 is out and R3 is returned to third base.
B: This is interference, B2 is out and R3 is out.
C: This is not interference.

C.

First the question says that F3 has fielded the Ball BEYOND 1B so if the the throw to 1B hits the runner it HAS to happen either after the runner has passed 1B, at the base or between 1B and home.

So there is NO POSSIBLE way she interfered with the play or throw to first - she was never between the ball and 1B

May 24, 2013
So Cal
C.

First the question says that F3 has fielded the Ball BEYOND 1B so if the the throw to 1B hits the runner it HAS to happen either after the runner has passed 1B, at the base or between 1B and home.

So there is NO POSSIBLE way she interfered with the play or throw to first - she was never between the ball and 1B

The throw from F3 was to home, not to 1B. Recalibrate accordingly. ;)

Oct 24, 2010
OP's question often appears on umpire tests. Speaking NFHS, the question is similar to casebook play 8.2.6A.
The running lane is about a fielder receiving a throw at 1st base and is irrelevant to OP's situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414