Unsportsmanlike spectrum: you decide

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Correct. I don't even think it's really an umpire judgment thing as RAD suggests. If the ball is/was in the glove, an umpire is not going to call a fake tag. They're calling a fake tag when the ball is in right field and the SS is pretending there's a throw from the catcher and dropping a tag on a runner.
A tag is a fake tag when applied with no ball in glove.
No matter where the ball is on the field.
Whether it was intended to be a fake tag or not is what I was commenting about.

A defensive player may know the ball has fallen out of their glove and still apply a tag. ( ball got away from them and they are staying at the bag while another player retrieves the ball)
By applying a FAKE TAG a runner may be FAKED into thinking the ball is still in their glove and not just pop up to then turn the base to look to the next base.
( because they think the ball is right there in glove next to them, when it is not)

Example: catcher throws to second base and shortstop takes their eye off the ball the last moment the ball might hit or go in their glove but not stay in it but continue to make a tag and the shortstop may know they do not have the ball.
( they're absolutely are times when defensive players know they don't have the ball, and may hold a tag, to hold the runner)

To fake or not to fake 🙂
Cuz ball coming out of glove happens.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Has any umpire here ejected a coach or player for unsporting conduct? Or has anyone here seen it happen? In my ten years of coaching/watching/u mpiring, I've never seen it happen.

Nope. Unless we count yelling at umps "unsporting conduct," but I assume you don't mean the obvious.

I hate that language because it's too vague. It shouldn't be in the rules. I don't want umpires to have that power to just kind of guess about something like that. And my guess is most umpires don't either.

If something is bad enough to warrant an ejection, you should be able to specifically name it in the rules, no?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A fake tag is a fake tag as it is not in the glove and there is a tag being applied.
No matter where the ball is.

That's not what fake tag means though. It does NOT mean "a tag without the ball." It means trying to trick the runner by applying a tag that has no intent of actually getting the runner out. A player dropping a ball in the process of tagging isn't a fake tag.

You cannot possibly think what you're arguing here.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's not what fake tag means though.
LOL you must be being silly about the verbiage.
😁 and my response..
. It does NOT mean "a tag without the ball."
It does exactly mean
Tag without a ball.
It means trying to trick the runner by applying a tag that has no intent of actually getting the runner out.
Exactly 'no intent on getting out'
cuz
THERE IS NO BALL IN THE GLOVE, 🙂👍
Holy mackerel LOL you're taking issue with that verbiage.
A player dropping a ball in the process of tagging isn't a fake tag.
I never said in the process of making a tag the ball falls out. That would be ball in glove as the defensive player is applying the tag. Not what I said
I commented
A player 'knowing' they have dropped the ball/or never had it and then proceeding to still make a tag can be purposely fake.

You replied to my comment 🤷‍♀️ in opposition of what I said. Which was only another perspective of tricky plays.
Which I didn't argue or banter with anyone. Pointed out, Hard to tell if their intentful or not unless you're the person doing it.

🥳 ENJOY

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
a) Legitimate trickery
b) Deceitful tactic
c) Behavior not in spirit of fair play
d) Deceitful / bad spirited, but minor

1. Fake Throw – fielder pretends to throw to get runner to advance or leave base (could be a ground ball to F5 with R3, or could be backpick to F3 who pretends to throw back to F1)A

2. Fake Overthrow – fielders pretend throw goes into outfield to get runner to advance A

3. Fake Catch – two outfielders converge on a fly ball, one of them pretends to catch ball early to get runner to advance A

4. Not delivering a pitch to cause runner to leave early C

5. BR runs to 1b on uncaught third strike while 1b is occupied B

6. BR runs to 1b on ball 3 C

7. Intentionally missing base to gain advantage (lol, I think we know everyone’s stance on this by now) D

8. Coach calls out the wrong number of outs B (opposing coach should immediately correct)

9. Runner intentionally leaves base way before catch in attempt to score C

10. Team bats out of order because Teagan is 0 for 31, defense doesn’t notice C

11. R1 deliberately falls down b/w 1st and 2nd to draw throw/tag so R3 can score A

12. Fake bunt / slash A

13. Changeup…(I kid, I kid) A

Mar 10, 2020
That's not what fake tag means though. It does NOT mean "a tag without the ball." It means trying to trick the runner by applying a tag that has no intent of actually getting the runner out. A player dropping a ball in the process of tagging isn't a fake tag.

How else would there be a trick play if there was no ball in the glove. You are not describing anything different. Webster you are not.

Jun 8, 2016
How else would there be a trick play if there was no ball in the glove. You are not describing anything different. Webster you are not.
Not having the ball is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it to be a fake tag…that is what he was saying. Hilbert you are not..

Mar 10, 2020
Not having the ball is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it to be a fake tag…that is what he was saying. Hilbert you are not..
Here we go sufficient condition now a
word merry go round making things up
Not having the ball is the condition.

Jun 8, 2016
Here we go sufficient condition now a
word merry go round making things up
Not having the ball is the condition.
Lol..ok. Fake is an adjective here..look up the definition of fake. A person can apply a tag without the ball and genuinely be trying to get the runner out because when they start to apply the tag they assume they are going to have the ball.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06