Is RLI a one way street?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
Except in this case, and unlike running to 2B or 3B, it's unusual to run fully in fair territory to 1B. There's only one reason someone does it, and that's to screw up a play.

I would guess without any data, that most right handed batter run primarily in fair territory to first base. So I wouldn’t think that act by itself would show any intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I would guess without any data, that most right handed batter run primarily in fair territory to first base. So I wouldn’t think that act by itself would show any intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Running on the line, no. How about running 3 feet in fair territory, which I've seen and isn't even the shortest path to 1B? Only one reason to do that.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Except in this case, and unlike running to 2B or 3B, it's unusual to run fully in fair territory to 1B. There's only one reason someone does it, and that's to screw up a play.

It's not at all unusual. The right-handed batter's direct path to the base takes her almost entirely through fair territory. One problem with the runner's lane's existence is that RHB have to veer off their natural path to get into the lane in the first place.

Also, there is nothing at all illegal with taking a direct path that can "screw up the play." There's a reason runners are taught to lead off third in foul territory but return to the base in fair territory. You're supposed to take a natural path that forces the defense to find a lane around you. That's not interference. That's good base running.

Sep 5, 2012
Umpire's judgement is going to play in any decision on this type of play. I don't know where anyone is getting the impression that a batter-runner can only interfere with a throw to 1B. That's just dead wrong!!! USA Rule 8.2.F&G addresses this specifically. The same should apply to NHFS rules.

If interference is determined in this situation, the ball is immediately declared dead with R3 being called out & BR2 being placed on 1B.

So YES, if the B/R (Batter/Runner: That's what they are until they safely reach 1B & where you have to look for rules concerning them. Not under rules for a Runner.) is out of the runner's lane & in the umpire's judgement, interfered with a throw home, a proper ruling should be made.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Umpire's judgement is going to play in any decision on this type of play. I don't know where anyone is getting the impression that a batter-runner can only interfere with a throw to 1B. That's just dead wrong!!! USA Rule 8.2.F&G addresses this specifically. The same should apply to NHFS rules.

If interference is determined in this situation, the ball is immediately declared dead with R3 being called out & BR2 being placed on 1B.

So YES, if the B/R (Batter/Runner: That's what they are until they safely reach 1B & where you have to look for rules concerning them. Not under rules for a Runner.) is out of the runner's lane & in the umpire's judgement, interfered with a throw home, a proper ruling should be made.
You are partially correct about the USA code. But 8.2.E is the part of tthe rule which pertains to RLI:

E. When the batter-runner runs outside the three-foot lane and, in the umpire’s judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base.

So, RLI still only applies going TO 1B. Yes other interference could apply for throws to the plate, but that is true in all sanctions.

Also this from USA:

Effect - Section 2D-H: 1 The ball is dead. 2 The batter-runner is out. 3 Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

BR is out, runner returns to 3B.

Not:

Dec 15, 2018
CT

They can be called for interference, but their location outside of the runner's lane would be coincidental, not part of the assessment of interference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad