University of Sydney swing study

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Have you executed any studies of your own. Your knowledge of the topic suggests two possible outcomes:

1) You have studied the topic relentlessly from a scientific perspective and have your own hypothesis in which you would have naturally tested out of curiosity if nothing else.

2) You have plenty of time to use google and troll ;)

And being an educator means nothing if you can not captivate your audience and then translate the knowledge you posses to them.

That being said I agree with your analysis and if I had that much of an understanding I would be a MBL hitting coach at the minimum!

I haven't done any studies in a lab, or with high tech equipment, but I have tried all the things that people post on this and other boards.

And, having above average knowledge of anatomy and bio-mechanics and some animation software that shows muscle and bone action, I have relentlessly studied how the body is actually making the movements seen in video of a swing.

I have worked hard to understand the physics involved. I didn't try to re-invent the wheel. Many studies have shown the physics involved. Although it is complex, it really isn't that hard to understand the basic physics involved.

It's primarily the principles of angular momentum, centripetal force and tangential acceleration.

The study in the original post, got into a lot of details that I haven't seen before, but it re-iterated much of what has been concluded by many studies done in the past.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2012
Good point, but what IS simple to one person may not be simple to another.

I DO keep it simple in actual instruction. I go into highly technical detail when I'm try to prove someone wrong, who keeps stating things that are not fact. Or, to show them through technical facts why what they say is not true. Unfortunately, many of them either can't comprehend the facts, or just refuse to accept them, because it makes them lose face.

I'd bet that Einstein may have thought he was keeping it simple, but it may be that it was only simple to his peers, not necessarily the rest of us folks.

His peers thought he was crazy actually. He had a few social disorders.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
His peers thought he was crazy actually. He had a few social disorders.

My ex-wife spent a few years working in the bookstore on the Caltech campus. Social disorders are status quo for both students and professors. Make them step outside their little box, and they're completely clueless on how to behave.

Jan 13, 2012
My ex-wife spent a few years working in the bookstore on the Caltech campus. Social disorders are status quo for both students and professors. Make them step outside their little box, and they're completely clueless on how to behave.

There's intelligence in a social situation and intellectual intelligence. Many people are gifted with one but not the other, and only a handful have both.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors