House of Pitching newsletter Part 1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
tomzpc, you can sign up for the newsletter on my website "House of Pitching". It's free, which is probably all it's worth. :) I had to post this in 2 parts because there is a size limit on postings on this site.

I wrote this newsletter on the plane this past weekend as I headed to my weekend clinic in Arkansas. I had this ironic conversation with the rental car clerk when she saw my "House of Pitching" jacket. It was sooooo ironic because of the topic I had JUST written about on the plane:

Lady: Is that softball or baseball pitching?
Me: Softball
Lady: Girls softball?
Me: Yes, I'm here doing a pitching clinic and lessons
Lady: Oh my goodness, my daughter is the pitcher on the high school team. she's very good!
Me: Wow, good to hear!
Lady: Where is your lessons at?
Me: Bald Knob Arkansas (which is 60 miles northeast of Little Rock)
Lady: Oh my goodness.. WAY up there? that's wayyyyyy too far.

Iroinic indeed!!!!

Welcome to the House of Pitching Newsletter.
I am writing this message on Oct 26, 2012 and I hope it reaches the majority who have pre-ordered the new DVD. I want to first apologize for the delay and while I don't want to ruin that apology with an excuse, let me tell you what the hold up has been: Replication. Of the 1000 video/DVD replication companies in the United States, it's just my luck that I picked the one that can give me the most trouble and hassles with my order. Every email and phone conversation I have with them I get a new story about what is going on and when I can expect the finished product. Needless to say I'm beyond angry and I know many of you are getting frustrated. I am getting emails on a daily basis asking for the video and when it can be expected, and I tell everyone the same thing: it's coming. I'm estimating about another week or so from today. Please keep in mind this was a "pre-order" and the date on my website was an ESTIMATED ship date. Believe me when I say NOBODY wants th
is video out and on the market more than I do. So those who've emailed me about it's delivery and are anxious to get it, welcome to my world. I have since gone to a new company for replication and anticipate arrival in about a week, shipments will begin immediately following that. I promise.

The other downside of this delay is, it's postponed my shooting of the next project. My time seems to be consumed on getting "Tricks of the Trade" out into the world but I hope to get out and film the next video in a matter of week or 2.

And while this may seem like a gratuitous plug for the House of Pitching online store, the truth is the sales of the training aides I have spike after each newsletter. And with only "endorsing" a couple of products, I think people realize that these products are what I believe to be genuinely good for a pitcher's development. I could make a case for them being downright ESSENTIAL for a pitcher. If having the store was simply about a "cash grab" I would probably carry a lot more items than what I do. Believe me, I am approached by nearly everyone who invents a new "gadget" about endorsing it for them and possibly carrying it in my online store. Everything from the absolute ridiculous to the products you see advertised on TV during the College World Series (many of those are ridiculous too) I could have a very large array of products if it wasn't truly about just offering the things that work and help pitchers.

The last article I wrote subject of practice being boring. One pitching student I saw recently called me "Captain Obvious" for saying that practice is boring. 99.999% of pitchers will tell you that practice is boring, pitching practice is boring and pitching lessons can be boring. So it was "obvious" to the vast majority. But there there is also a segment of the population that probably read that in disbelief, those people are sometimes referred to as "the crazy Dads". These folks are so intense about softball that it's NEVER boring and they love being at the lessons a great deal. Usually much more than their daughter's enjoy it! Now in fairness, there are some mothers' who fit into that category too so I could probably call it "crazy parents" but the point remains the same. There's a very fine line between a Hobby and an Obsession, for many that line is blurred.

A few years ago, I was watching the post game coverage of ESPN's softball games. A renowned pitching coach (female) was talking to the host of the show and made several references to fathers who do more harm than good to their daughters in pitching development. This coach has also said things in coaches clinics about 'crazy dad's' who sit on their buckets and do damage to their daughter's by teaching and coaching incorrect things. While I think we can all agree those are polarizing things to say and can be controversial, the more I thought about it, the more I agreed in principal with what she was saying. I'm just not so sure I'd have said it on ESPN!!

There are a few different types of parents of pitchers. One type will inquire about lessons, and then go to a different coach because of the costs or because the location of my lessons are "too far away". It turns out that 30 minutes drive is too far away for this family to drive. Now, I understand and wish them well! I do realize, there are a lot of pitching coaches far less expensive and with gas hovering near $4 per gallon, drive time is important to a family on a budget. But then there's the other kind of parent. This father will drive 5 hours (one way) to do a 1 hour pitching lesson, then drive 5 hours home. I get a lot of these types of parents in my lessons, they are willing to do whatever they believe it takes for their daughter. One particular father has flown his daughter and himself to clinics/lessons I've done in Montana, Dallas, Maine, and Arkansas, while living in Washington DC. It's both an honor and humbling that people are willing to go
to these extremes to see me and have me work with their kid.

I am flattered that so many people enjoy what I teach and the "WHY" behind what I teach, all of that experience and lesson is lost without that "boring practice" that I mentioned in my last article. The best pitching coach in the world, regardless of who you think is the best, cannot make your daughter into a good pitcher if she's not willing to put the time in on her own to practice. Every student at every lesson is given homework by me to work on until the next time I'd see her. It is blatantly obvious to me which ones do the homework and which ones do not. There isn't a coach in the world who can make someone into the best she can be without that kid being an active participant. It doesn't matter if you fly to a clinic I'm doing in Hawaii or if you drive 30 minutes across town for the lesson. Is this another "caption obvious" thing? Maybe.

I will tell you that I have pitchers in my weekly lessons who have no desire in being good at the craft. They are there to please mom or dad and are terrified of upsetting either (or both) by not going to these lessons. As the old cliche goes, you cannot help someone who doesn't want to be helped...and, you cannot make a pitcher out of someone who doesn't want to pitch.

The crazy dad syndrome sometimes gets in the way of what this kid really wants. Maybe she wants to play softball at the "rec" level and has no desire to pitch for the University of Arizona down the road. But all too often, the parents cannot see that. The parent loves the sport so much that they put blinders on to what the kid wants, not seeing the kid does not want to put the time in to be a truly successful pitcher. I get emails all the times from these moms/dads who tell me how much their daughter "loves" pitching but, their actions and lack of a work ethic prove they don't have the desire, no matter how much mom and/or dad wants them to want it.

Aug 21, 2008
Part 2.

And don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that!! There's nothing wrong with a kid being happy with playing softball socially but not in the life and death, intense atmosphere they sometimes get pushed into. Not wanting to disappoint the parent, a good portion of these kids will just go along to their lessons, without complaint, and go through the motions for the 1/2 hour lesson. Lets face it, fastpitch softball is addicting. The game and it's atmosphere sucks us in, gets in our blood and becomes a part of us. The parents can become obsessed with the sport and all that encompasses it. It's easy to forget to ask whether this life of a pitcher is what the daughter actually wants. Nearly every pitching coach will tell you the most commonly asked question they get is a variation of this: "Does my daughter have what it takes?" And if the coach is honest with you, he/she will say "I truly don't know" because NOBODY knows. Having God given talent doesn't
mean that kid will practice between lessons and want to be the best. No pitching coach can make a great pitcher out of one of those kids. Instead of asking your coach about how good they think your daughter will be, try asking if the coach sees desire in her, or if the coach thinks she did anything to improve week to week, and if there is an intensity about learning. If the answer to any of those is "No" then you really need to have a heart to heart talk with your young pitcher about her future in pitching. Pay attention at the next lesson if she purposely misses balls thrown back to her (an attempt at delaying and waste time) or if every week there a new "nagging injury" that cannot be seen but requires extra breaks during the lesson (another stall tactic). These are signs that she is just not into it like you might be.

Lets face it, some kids "have it" and others don't. Some kids are simply more talented than others and don't have work as hard because they are more gifted. This doesn't mean the non-gifted pitcher shouldn't be allowed to pitch... there is a level of play for everyone. If she wants to pitch, there is almost always a rec team or level of travel ball she could be on. Personally, I will never dismiss a student who doesn't have that natural born ability. But I have told parents from time to time that they are wasting their money here and I think it's best if we stop with lessons. Why bother handing over money each week when she isn't working on getting better? I can tell from week to week whether that kid practiced or not, with or without that natural ability. But if pitching is something she enjoys and is putting the time in, then it'd be shame to take her out of lessons and doing something she enjoys just because she doesn't have the same abilities as the girl next
door.

The "crazy parent" usually has their heart in the right place, wanting to give their daughter the best opportunity for success as possible. But, here's a small tip for any parent trying to get their daughter registered for lessons: If she cannot catch the ball being thrown back to her at the lessons, then she's probably not ready to learn how to pitch!! Teach her how to catch a ball first and throw overhand with somewhat correct mechanics, then we'll discuss the underhand throwing motion!! The age that parents are bringing students to pitching lessons/clinics is getting younger and younger, and most of the they aren't ready mentally or physically for these lessons... nor do many of them actually really want them. I have more than enough students on waiting lists to see me that it's not really about the money, and I wouldn't feel right about taking it each week under these circumstances. I would recommend waiting until about 10 years old for lessons and make the
m 1/2 hour, not full hours if you can arrange it. You'll be fighting an attention span issue if you go much beyond 1/2 hour.

I am sure I'm going to get oodles of replies to this article from both camps: the kind that wears "crazy parent" label as a badge of honor and appreciates the humor in that name AND the kind that will take me literally that I'm calling them "insane". Everyone can just relax... I'm not calling you insane. Just a little crazy. :)

Bill Hillhouse
Bill Hillhouse: House of Pitching Softball Academy

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Bill you should just tell folks, "DVD is in the mail". ;)

Wish I'd known you were in AR, that's not a bad drive for us ( Memphis ). Would have made a nice day trip for old lefty and myself and I'd really enjoy meeting you and getting some evaluations.

Question, I see you will be back in December. How does it work? Do we just show up, pay in advance, appointment? Maybe the details are in the newsletter, I'll sign up there too.

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2011
Would love to see a Hillhouse clinic in Middle or East Tennessee. The pitching instruction in this area is really poor. Just local pitching coaches that the parents usually know and getting them to try something different is an uphill battle right now

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Wish I had this article 10 years ago when I started with my oldest daughter. Her potential far exceeded my desire, and I believe she'd be playing softball to this day and pitching had it not been for me.

I coach soccer goalkeepers and a few years ago, a girl asked her coach if she could work with me and their keeper during their practice. In seconds, I realized she was a natural born keeper. Within minutes I believed this kid had scholarship potential. We were working in standing water on a cold day and she did everything she was asked with fire. She easily matched the effort and quality of team keeper, who had a private coach. Both the regular keeper and I kept looking at each other everytime we saw this kid showing her potential. I asked this kid if she liked what we were doing. She said she hoped to spend some time in goal and really liked working with us. I spoke to her dad after practice (who had been watching.) He said that he and his wife wanted her to be a forward. My heart sunk.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Would love to see a Hillhouse clinic in Middle or East Tennessee. The pitching instruction in this area is really poor. Just local pitching coaches that the parents usually know and getting them to try something different is an uphill battle right now

Somebody is teaching a few girls some tricks! Heck the young lady from Beech tied the national win record last season. Your side always wins division 1 at state playoffs. I'm hoping to change that this year. :p

Sep 3, 2009
Great stuff Bill! Thanks. I'm one of those crazy softball parents who has had no issues with spending close to four hours in the car for a 45 minute lesson costing $75 or more (it has never been worth it btw...HE etc) I'm also extremely anal and obsessive about things and once my daughter told me that this (pitching) is what she wanted to do I began to read everything that I could. She got a good solid base from a wonderful local instructor who does free clinics for our rec program but it was when I discovered this website (huge props to Boardmember especially) and your dvd that things took off. We have tried several instructors but rarely do they impart something that I am not already aware of, or haven't told my daughter, again, thanks to this website and other resources. Good resources are few and far in between btw. There is much more misinformation about windmill pitching in print, on the web, and on DVD's than there is good information IMHO. Learning to discern the good from the bad has been a job in itself. It has been rewarding to watch my 12yo DD excel in the circle (most of the time) in both rec and travel ball and after a recent tournament when an opposing coach came over to tell her what a great game that she pitched and asked who her coach was and she responded "my dad", I wanted to hug her there on the spot. I am not a pitching coach and I do not advertise myself as one to anyone, including my daughter.

But thankfully I am not one of those fathers that pushes their child to do things that they really aren't interested in. I ask her all the time if she wants to keep pitching and remind her to tell me if she doesn't want to practice three days a week anymore or pitch in a few games over a weekend. She has never once hesitated. I think that we have all had experiences with the parents you are referring to, sadly for the kids where it is obvious that their heart is just not in it. I coach rec. ball and can't say how many times after giving a girl positive reinforcement on a great effort or a great swing that I have a parent come over next to the dugout to say things like "you have to make that play" or "cmon and hit the ball already" to their daughter. It is very frustrating and disheartening.

In the meantime, we'll keep working on our own schedule and attend the occasional clinic to learn a new pitch to work on or receive some feedback but I'll give consideration to taking her to see Darren Rea sometime. If you're ever in the NY area somewhere between NYC and Albany we'll be there!
Tom

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Somebody is teaching a few girls some tricks! Heck the young lady from Beech tied the national win record last season. Your side always wins division 1 at state playoffs. I'm hoping to change that this year. :p

LOL. Yes , the girl from Beech was very , very good. I am actually from Northeast Tennessee. The problem with the "local" coaches here is that some girls have been with them for 5 or 6 years and have been taught a decent foundation , but they have hit a wall at around 14u and dont improve any further.

Aug 21, 2008
Goingdeep, you just email me to sign up. I handle the scheduling for the Arkansas trips. I actually have a email list for all of my regular places that I visit: Dallas, Portland Maine, Arkansas, etc. along with my weekly lesson places in Alliance Ohio, Pittsburgh PA and Buffalo NY. this is how I communicate 99% of the time with parents.

If you want, send me (private message) me and I'll add your email address to the Arkansas list. You will be notified of when the schedule is ready for registrations. If you check out my website store and scroll down, you will see the Arkansas schedule. It's already 75% filled in just under 24 hours of allowing people to register so it goes quick. My Dallas weekend (this weekend) is light this time because, being the genius that I am, I scheduled this trip while the Ronald McDonald Showcase is going on!! So, plenty of pitchers who normally come to lessons are going there. <sigh> A smart person would cancel this trip but not me... I have a family coming from Denver who cannot get their tix refunded or changed so I sorta feel obligated. Sorry to vent.

Anyway, if you want on the schedule for Arkansas, check the calendar on my online store and email me whatever open time(s) you wuold like. I get a 'rate' at the Hampton Inn about 8 miles down the road for the out of towners. Sunday has already sold out but if you were wanting to do a Sat/Sun (lesson on each day) I would make some arrangement for you as long as you write nice things about me on here aftewards. Just let me know.

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles