unclear on "Earned Runs"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
Unearned runs are all the runs that scored after the defense would have recorded three outs if the defense played flawlessly. So lets say offense goes two up and two down, then batter three hits a grounder that goes through the first baseman's legs and it should have been out three........every single run that is scored that half inning is considered unearned.

Mar 26, 2013
Unearned runs are those that score because of errors and/or passed balls, including E/PB that put runners on and those that help score them once they get on.

Simplest guide is to reconstruct the inning with perfect fielding (no errors or passed balls). Those that would've scored despite errors and passed balls are earned. Those that scored because of errors and passed balls are unearned.
This ^^^ plus proper accounting for players that reached base via FC.

14.24.1 Earned runs are runs for which the pitcher is statistically accountable and the offense deserves to have scored (earned). An earned run shall be charged against the pitcher when a runner scores as a result of a base on balls, a fielder’s choice, a hit, a putout, a batter hit by a pitch, an illegal pitch, a sacrifice bunt, a sacrifice fly, a stolen base and a wild pitch (including a third strike wild pitch). Earned runs are determined by reconstructing the inning as if there were no errors or passed balls. The pitcher should be given the benefit of the doubt in determining the advancement of runners had the defensive team been errorless.
Note: A batter who gets on base as a result of a fielder’s choice can score an earned run only if the base runner that was out as a result of the fielder’s choice was a potential earned run.

Mar 26, 2013
I was torn while reconstructing an inning because an intentional walk forced in a run. Doesn't seem fair since they wouldn't have issued the IBB with bases loaded. OTOH, no one knows what would have happened if they had pitched to her.

May 28, 2013
If you can help with this on the third strike, that would be greatly helped. But I saw one last week.(my mind, wasn't our game) scored it Strikeout, D3K (my annotation) but the ball was 2 foot high, and the kid swung. Safe at first....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you can help with this on the third strike, that would be greatly helped. But I saw one last week.(my mind, wasn't our game) scored it Strikeout, D3K (my annotation) but the ball was 2 foot high, and the kid swung. Safe at first....

If a hitter reaches first on a dropped third strike, it is scored a K AND either a WP or PB. If it is a WP and that runner subsequently scores without benefit of other errors, then that runner is earned; conversely, the run would be unearned if the hitter reached on a DK3 PB.

Apr 2, 2013
An earned run is a run for which the pitcher is held accountable.

Safe hits, putouts, stolen bases, sacrifices, wild pitches or walks given up by the pitcher which allow, or would have allowed, the runs to cross in ERRORLESS play before the third out could have been made, result in an Earned Run.

In determining earned runs, the inning is reconstructed without errors to establish the point at which three outs should have been made. No run shall be earned when the runners advance is aided by an error if the scorer judges the run would not have scored without that error. The error that allows extra bases does not necessarily become an unearned run.

Unearned runs are any runs scored:
- after the fielding side has had the opportunity to make three outs
- by a runner who reaches base on an error when they should have been put out
- by a runner who has advanced base on an error or passed ball when they would not have otherwise scored before the third out
- tie-break runner scoring is an unearned run even without errors.

Sometimes the element of time may determine if a run is earned or unearned. For example if there are 2 out, batter A reaches 1st on a hit. Batter B hits a double and A rounds third and heads for home. B attempts to reach 3rd and the baseplayer drops the ball in tagging for what would have been an easy out. If the lead runner crossed home before the error, the run is earned. If the runner crossed after the error (after the third out should have been made with errorless play) the run would be unearned. Had there been non or 1 out, and B subsequently scored on a safe hit from batter C, it still cannot be an earned run, as the runner advanced a base that would not have been made without the error.

Often you must wait until subsequent batters have completed their turn at bat to see if a run is earned or unearned.

In determining earned runs, errors which allow runners to advance are distinct from errors which fail to achieve a putout.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm glad I asked the question because I was waaaay off in my lack of understanding!

one more related question- calculation of ERA:

Is calculating ERA as simple as taking the number of earned runs and dividing it across the innings pitched?
I'm thinking that can't be right as the ERA numbers would all be below 1.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2013
The ERA is calculated by Number of Earned Runs multiplied by 7(innings), divided by Number of Innings pitched, equals ERA.

(Earned runs x 7) divided by innings pitched. Eg, 12 Earned runs, multiplied by 7; divided by 57 innings pitched; equals 1.474 ERA

Every out is considered as a third of an inning (1 out = 0.333, 2 out =0.667) and so if a pitcher does not complete an innings but has one or two out you use those numbers instead. For example if a pitcher throws 4 full innings and is pulled after the second out of the fifth inning, they will have thrown 4.667 innings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez