Scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
This question is in regards to earned runs and unearned run scoring. Definition of Unearned run is had the error not happened the run would not have scored. First batter in the inning reaches on error by outfielder on pop up. Second batter reaches by walk. Runners first and second. Third batter grounder to SS makes play on first batter that reached on error and she is out at third. Scored FC. third batter of inning eventually scored on base hit. Since lead off batter should have been out on error to left fielder I think the FC batter run should be unearned since had the error not occurred on lead off she would have been retired 6-3 and was only on base because the error occurred. Thoughts?

Apr 20, 2015
You can’t score based on what should have happened you can only score on what did happen. There are too many ifs. IF the ss threw across the diamond there could have been another error. What you do know is the unearned runner was retired. The next runner was earned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
You can’t score based on what should have happened you can only score on what did happen. There are too many ifs. IF the ss threw across the diamond there could have been another error. What you do know is the unearned runner was retired. The next runner was earned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I initially had the same thought as you but given it was a FC had the SS thrown it away on the throw to first and thus an error then the run would have been unearned when she scored. That was what brought me back to my conclusion. Appreciate the thoughts and look forward to others sharing theirs. This is a scenario I hadn’t giving much thought to until it came up.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
when did B3 score in relation to the second out of the inning? (the out that would have been the third out assuming errorless play). Basically, that is the point that determines if a run is earned or not. Any runs that score after that second out would be unearned. (yes I know that is a bit oversimplified, but without more info and actual scoring to work with it is a good start)

Mar 4, 2015
New England
This question is in regards to earned runs and unearned run scoring. Definition of Unearned run is had the error not happened the run would not have scored. First batter in the inning reaches on error by outfielder on pop up. Second batter reaches by walk. Runners first and second. Third batter grounder to SS makes play on first batter that reached on error and she is out at third. Scored FC. third batter of inning eventually scored on base hit. Since lead off batter should have been out on error to left fielder I think the FC batter run should be unearned since had the error not occurred on lead off she would have been retired 6-3 and was only on base because the error occurred. Thoughts?

Not enough information, as previous poster noted.

How did the inning play out?

ROE
Walk
FC (6-5)

Then what?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles