Scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
I help with gc sometimes and want to make sure I’m scoring a play correctly. Two examples runner on first kids hits a ground ball up the middle that the ss barely gets a glove on and it deflects to another player who makes a desperate attempt to toss it towards second base but the runner has already reached easily so they attempted a play that really wasn’t a play. Is this a hit or an FC? Second play runner on 3rd squeeze bunt is beautifully placed where there is no reasonable play on either runner but it they go ahead and make the toss to the plate. Sac bunt safe, fielders choice or hit? I hate giving a kid a fielders choice when the fielder isn’t really making a play that has a chance of getting an out. I understand that sometimes there’s no choice if an out is recorded but when there’s not I’m not sure what to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
I would have too. But, it really in the judgement of the scorekeeper; if you think they would have been safe even without the runner distraction, then score it as a hit.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
OK, slightly different scenario. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, batter bunts and fielder (3rd baseman) checks runner on 3rd and makes no throw to 1st. Hit? Judgement call?

Aug 5, 2022
Thank you! I just wasn’t sure if the rules allowed it to be scored a hit if a play was attempted at another base even if the attempt was truly futile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2014
OK, slightly different scenario. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, batter bunts and fielder (3rd baseman) checks runner on 3rd and makes no throw to 1st. Hit? Judgement call?
Judgement call on what would have happened but in similar situations I have scored it a fielders choice and others I've scored a hit

Jun 11, 2013
It's a hit . It's the same as you would get if their was runner on third and they looked back and threw to first and you beat out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles