Two Finger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
saveage, defenitly teach it! Its a very basic pitch to me (my main grip) I'm actully doing the oppisite this off season, trying the four seam. I have no idea why it moves, it just does. I love the grip personally.

Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Lozza, I had all my students give it a try and it seems one girl picked it up pretty quick.

She has a really good snap and with the spin she has, her dad gave a "Holy C**p!!" after she pitched it. It zig-zagged over the plate. Speed is alittle slower than the fast ball, but she's already using it as a new pitch. Her's has a tendency to go inside (due to her middle finger having the stronger push on the seam).

The other girls are at varying stages, some too young, others to old with too many pitches already.

Mar 13, 2010
Lozza, I had all my students give it a try and it seems one girl picked it up pretty quick.

She has a really good snap and with the spin she has, her dad gave a "Holy C**p!!" after she pitched it. It zig-zagged over the plate. Speed is alittle slower than the fast ball, but she's already using it as a new pitch. Her's has a tendency to go inside (due to her middle finger having the stronger push on the seam).

I'm really glad to hear that! Its such a good pitch that seems to be dying out, so I'm doing my best to teach it.

The other girls are at varying stages, some too young, others to old with too many pitches already.

Too many pitches? Impossible!

I do understand the too young thing, its hard for some of the girls I coach to grip it properly. Too old is nothing. I pitched a little bit as a youngster, but never really wanted put the effort in so stopped at 11 and focussed on 1st. I started pitching again at 18 (literally, our pitcher was injured and my coach turned around and said 'you mum was a damn good pitcher, you must be too. You're pitching') and learnt it all from there. I was good enough to be used in state league A and B grade (and struck out an Australian player. No idea what I did but it worked!) You're never too old to learn something.

Mar 13, 2010
I couldn't find any on the web, so here's some photos I took of my grip

Side views

Last two can't get them to show other way. Holding my iPhone I have to do it from that side, too awkward otherwise!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles

I think it would help to explain the difference between two-seam and two finger fastball grip; which are being used interchangably with this post. My DD is experimenting with a "two-seam" fastball whereas her second and fourth fingers are on the two "narrows" (seams) and her middle finger (3rd finger) is between the narrows on the smooth part of the ball. I think her PC is teaching this method since she is still little and has relatively small hands for this type of grip. Supposedly the ball will run inside and outside depending on the grip pressure vs. her four-seam fastball which is more 12-6spin and has up / down movement.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. I am in the early stages of learning how to film. There is a lot more info, that can be given.
I could use an 11 inch ball, also.

A second video could show the 2 seam only.

I am considering giving free lessons to anyone that could help me with You Tube, etc. You can imagine how thrilled my family is over helping with my projects.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs