Two Finger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Just curious if any girl fastpitch pitchers use a two finger grip when pitching?

Went to a pitching clinic at a local univerity last year that was coached by a man (note he also pitches men's fastpitch and goes about 6' 4") who encouraged the girls to try a two finger grip to get better speed and movement. My daughter was only 9 at the time and hands are still two small for this grip.

However, I asked two local pitching coaches, both women who were accomplished collegiate pitchers and they had never heard of such a thing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD used a two finger grip for a fastball. Her fastball jumped all over the place.

Some girls don't have big enough hands to do it. My DD didn't have large hands, but she kept working at it until her hands became strong enough.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
I use a 2 seam grip and always have. My mum pitched like that and that's what she showed me. I was older when I started pitching full time (18) so size of hands were never an issue.

I get told a lot its very 'old school' style of pitching but it works for me so I keep it. I find this ball gives me a natural curve to all my pitches that I don't get on a 4 seam ball.

Oct 19, 2009
I use a 2 seam grip and always have. My mum pitched like that and that's what she showed me. I was older when I started pitching full time (18) so size of hands were never an issue.

I get told a lot its very 'old school' style of pitching but it works for me so I keep it. I find this ball gives me a natural curve to all my pitches that I don't get on a 4 seam ball.

Back in the day when I was a baseball pitcher I gripped the ball the same way for the same reason. College coaches called me a "live arm" so it makes sense. Just wondering how many girls are using it if any. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
In my experience? None. I'd love to teach my girls the two seam grip, but their parents are very traditional and they crack it. I do have them doing both though which they don't mind. I'm trying to teach myself the four seam to see what its like, but I don't have as much control.

Oct 19, 2009
My 10 YO uses a two seam grip but still has to hold the ball with all four fingers (due to hand size) so her ring and pinkie fingers are holding the non-seamed part of the ball. She isn't getting movement but has better control and velocity.

Feb 5, 2010
My daughter just turned 11 and she is a lefty. Has no problem throwing with 2 fingers at this point. As time goes on we will see what happens. I constantly have her switch 2 fingers 3 fingers 2 seams and then 4. I don't think it hurts to let her feel her way around the ball. With IR and the right breeze it starts to break down and in. There were times in the winter indoors that it would start to move as well.

Nov 17, 2009
My daughter throws 80% 2 seams. She uses her middle and ring finger on the seams, with forefinger and pinky to thed sides. She has some very wicked movement using this pitch. She did not like the feel of the ball at first, but once she started seeeing the results of the pitch she now uses it all the time. Took about 1 pitching session.

Mar 13, 2010
Coach C, that's exactly how I hold the ball. You're 100% right on the movement, some of the things I've had the ball do have caused umpire to go 'HOLY $@%*' behind the plate. (I play seniors)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
You've just inspired me to go throw some myself!! Dang, I might have missed out on an effective breaking pitch all those years!! :) Maybe if I can throw it I can show it to my girls. Thanks for the info!