twist in motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Hal , I started out throwing sling shot at an early age. Harvey Sterkel was a neighbor and my Idol. Then Joe Lynch came to town and I started the windmill in 69 while I was a member of the All Navy Team out of the Sub base in Norfolk for three years 69 70 and 71. We called it rock and fire or rythume and stride. I did get to pitch with Aurora Home Savings in 73 with Sterkel, Brubaker and Carlson. There were a few of the old Sealmaster players still playing for Home. Barron Christenson and Hurtt. In 72 I pitched with a team out of Columbus Ohio. We won the State beating Ray Miller with Hamelton. We got beat in the Ashland regionals by Ann Arbor who went to the nationals. In 74 I played for a team in Sunnyvale, Calif. Aurora didn't need me. I got beat in the regionals by Balswick and Santa Rosa. They went on that year winning the nationals beating Home in the finals. Long story I said enough.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I think it is Oregon coach White who has a rep for stealing pitches by looking at grip.

Several teams whose coaches come from the men's game attempt do this. Been written up in college articles.

Remember they also have videotape to go back and check their hunches.

Mike White was one heck of a pitcher, and with girls having so many grips, I'd say he looks for change up grips and can tip off the hitter if a change is coming. The change is usually thrown with a circle grip or a grip deep in the palm. The change up is hard to hit even if you know it's coming. Best offense against the change is to bunt it. It's the best pitch in the game. Mowatt had a very good one. She won the WCWS with the change up.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal , I started out throwing sling shot at an early age. Harvey Sterkel was a neighbor and my Idol. Then Joe Lynch came to town and I started the windmill in 69 while I was a member of the All Navy Team out of the Sub base in Norfolk for three years 69 70 and 71. We called it rock and fire or rythume and stride. I did get to pitch with Aurora Home Savings in 73 with Sterkel, Brubaker and Carlson. There were a few of the old Sealmaster players still playing for Home. Barron Christenson and Hurtt. In 72 I pitched with a team out of Columbus Ohio. We won the State beating Ray Miller with Hamelton. We got beat in the Ashland regionals by Ann Arbor who went to the nationals. In 74 I played for a team in Sunnyvale, Calif. Aurora didn't need me. I got beat in the regionals by Balswick and Santa Rosa. They went on that year winning the nationals beating Home in the finals. Long story I said enough.

Please let us know who you are. There are a few female pitcher / instructors out there that do teach the slingshot wind up. We hear from them once in awhile.

I am 57 and I saw a handful of slingshotters and sub wind up pitchers when I was VERY young and a batboy for my Dads team. He was a windmill pitcher in the early 60s. A few of those old timers were nice enough to try and help a snot nosed kid with a few tips on this really odd pitching motion they had. I tried to imitate what they showed me but never could get the timing down. One guy said if it felt herky jerky and not real smooth, dont do it cuase I could hurt my shoulder so I gave up. My timing was not right.

I believe the slingshot wind up is gaining in popularity in the US. Instructors are still few and far between from what I can gather.

We get an ocassional question in regards to the slingshot and any input you could provide would be priceless. Not much I can help them with in that respect.

You have certainly earned the right to post with your real name.

Hal

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Doug Noble and I am 64. I was born and raised in Aurora, Ill. One of the biggest fast pitch towns in the states back in the days. We did meet on another FP site years ago. Maybe it was your site, and when I'm not sure. I got out of the game before my prime at the age of 28, in about 1977. I got back into the girls game when my daughter started playing around 12 years ago.

My idol back in the day was ASA HOF pitcher Harvey Sterkel. He threw sling shot. Not over powering,but great movement at the knees, up and down, with a riseball palmed grip for the change up. I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. I was like him a little, then I got to pitch against him in 72 with my Ohio team in Aurora. I beat Home Savings hitters and my team beat Harvey who was 38 years old. I was 23 that year. While I was in the Navy I got wins against Clearwater and Joe Lynch and Ty Stoflet and his Penn. team. I played a couple years in Northern Calif at Sunnyvale, Part of a year in Camarillo Calif and part of a year in Logan WVA. I played in San Diego, 1968, my 1st year in the Navy for Bob Petinak, who was one of Birtha Tickey's 7 brothers. Birtha is ASA HOF, and Joan Joyce was her under study in her earlier years with The Braketts. Bob was a catcher/manager for Joe Lynch and Roy Burleson while stationed at SubFlotOne in San Diego. The ball field at the sub base was named after Bob. I was lucky to pitch against most of the best teams in the states back in the day. Won a few Lost a few and a few got rained out. End of story for now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors