twist in motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I wish Bill would come on here or someone who knows more about the twist, and explain it and the reason for it. I tried to give my nickle worth, but it didn't make 2 cents worth of infor.

From what i have been told by 2 qualified instructors, they are both members of this forum, there is no advantage to it?
I'm not concerned about it personally any more. If you turn right or left then do any other motion you still have to go forward, if there was a rocking mechanism that drove you forward that could be a help, but there appears to be none.
It doesn't resemble just starting from the hip on the ball side, which in mho, that is more difficult also, that's why you don't see many, very few doing that either.

Tks for the input

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Just to interject a little side thought from this old sneaky pitcher.

Say a college pitcher brings the hands together and does the little 'annoying' twist before starting her wind up. Does this for two full innings, always the same thing.

Now its a little later in the game. Brings the hands together and BOOM, explodes into the pitch with NO twist. SURPRISE!

Hurry em up or make em wait and nev er let em know whats coming next!

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
From this hitters opinion, if i am in the box, I better be ready. The old saying it's hard to hit the motion.
But keep an eye on the hip.

Comparable to slingshot few times then you do full WM.. Were not to many that could do that.
--------------------------------------------------------

Just to interject a little side thought from this old sneaky pitcher.

Say a college pitcher brings the hands together and does the little 'annoying' twist before starting her wind up. Does this for two full innings, always the same thing.

Now its a little later in the game. Brings the hands together and BOOM, explodes into the pitch with NO twist. SURPRISE!

Hurry em up or make em wait and nev er let em know whats coming next!

Dec 20, 2012
How many pitches does Ricketts throw?

What does that have to do with anything?? You said she threw her drop curve around her hip. I stated she stays open thru the pitch. Stay with me on this, don't wander off the topic.

Drop, Drop curve, change

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
From this hitters opinion, if i am in the box, I better be ready. The old saying it's hard to hit the motion.
But keep an eye on the hip.

Comparable to slingshot few times then you do full WM.. Were not to many that could do that.
--------------------------------------------------------

Knuckler. this is the age old and belief, focus on the hip and see only the ball. Hitters are told this, they are trained to believe this. but, that is NOT the case unless you are facing a pitcher that throws ridiculously slow.

The fact is, you can stare at the hip all day but you you still have the pitchers entire body in you field of vision and line of sight. You can believe whatever you have been told but students of my teaching have proven that belief wrong more times than I can count.

It takes very little differences in pitching motions to disrupt a hitter's timing and defeat them. Why? Because they see EVERYTHING, even if they think they dont.

The coolest part of that scenario for the pitcher is that, unless the hitter can be taught to read the pitcher's mind, THERE IS NO DEFENSE FOR THESE TACTICS, short of the hitters reading the pitchers mind.

The biggest reason I decided to write my books is this; Hitters are always trained the same way. That training always instills the same weaknesses and dependancies in every one of them. The instructors have no choice but to do that. I teach pitchers how to use that against them and destroy the timing of any team of batters.

Going from a slingshot to a standard windmill is a huge change and not a very effective one, to much time to readjust. However, going from a double pump wind up to a softball submarine wind up has a stunning effect because it is so fast there is no time to adjust', they just stand there and twitch.

You and your hitters can believe whatever you want. Go up against a sneaky softball pitcher and she will prove your beliefs wrong.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Well that's what i did for 20 years except when i was playing baseball, then the ball comes from the shoulder,,"unless you are a submariner or side armer" "some hitters" like to focus on the bill of the cap in that game, being they wear hats, if the ball is released at the hip, where should you be looking for it????????????????????? Should i have been looking at the feet? little over 300 lifetime, nothing to brag about/seemed to work
---------------------------------------------

Knuckler. this is the age old and belief, focus on the hip and see only the ball. Hitters are told this, they are trained to believe this. but, that is NOT the case unless you are facing a pitcher that throws ridiculously slow.

The fact is, you can stare at the hip all day but you you still have the pitchers entire body in you field of vision and line of sight. You can believe whatever you have been told but students of my teaching have proven that belief wrong more times than I can count.

It takes very little differences in pitching motions to disrupt a hitter's timing and defeat them. Why? Because they see EVERYTHING, even if they think they dont.

The coolest part of that scenario for the pitcher is that, unless the hitter can be taught to read the pitcher's mind, THERE IS NO DEFENSE FOR THESE TACTICS, short of the hitters reading the pitchers mind.

The biggest reason I decided to write my books is this; Hitters are always trained the same way. That training always instills the same weaknesses and dependancies in every one of them. The instructors have no choice but to do that. I teach pitchers how to use that against them and destroy the timing of any team of batters.

Going from a slingshot to a standard windmill is a huge change and not a very effective one, to much time to readjust. However, going from a double pump wind up to a softball submarine wind up has a stunning effect because it is so fast there is no time to adjust', they just stand there and twitch.

You and your hitters can believe whatever you want. Go up against a sneaky softball pitcher and she will prove your beliefs wrong.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
What does that have to do with anything?? You said she threw her drop curve around her hip. I stated she stays open thru the pitch. Stay with me on this, don't wander off the topic.

Drop, Drop curve, change

I'd say she throws a rollover drop, and a cross corner rollover drop and an ok change up. What makes her good is her size, athletic ability and her being left handed. I don't see any curve in her drop, but more of an angled drop away from the lefties that might get her in trouble against the better teams.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Did we ever figure why many pitchers start with the ball in the glove at the hip and do a little twist? The #19 UCLA pitcher #3 does it with no back arm swing, but the ball comes out of her glove at 6 o'clock. The #25 Arizona pitcher #12 does a wind up behind the head and takes the ball out of the glove at her hip too. She just game up a HR in the 10 inning. 6-5 UCLA. Arizona has one more at bat in the 10th. Lisa Fernandez is having a baby and not with UCLA tonight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors