twist in motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
There are a few NCAA pitchers as they prepare to begin motion, their upper body twists probably 30 45 degress, left or right left hander right hander, then go into windmill delivery. Is there a reason this helps? OK has one Mo may be another, there are more.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Traina, from AL, is one of the more notable pitchers who twists in the pre-motion. Reportedly, she assumes her grip during the twist to hide it from the 3B coach.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
that's what i've heard, hope they don't have tv's in the dugout, they show the grip on camera, that is why if one can learn at that level to go from the hip like Bil H shows, but that must be more difficult?

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
just a habbit, good or bad

that's what i've heard, hope they don't have tv's in the dugout, they show the grip on camera, that is why if one can learn at that level to go from the hip like Bil H shows, but that must be more difficult?

Jackie is a big girl who could have used a little coaching from the likes of Bill H. or Doug Gillis who taught Chelsea Thomas. Thomas hides the ball in the glove and comes out of the glove around 9 o clock. She also throws only 3 pitches. Up down and change. She be better throwing the change off the circle/back spin than the peel drop change...Jackie isn't the pitcher, Thomas is and Thomas isn't just a thrower like Jackie is. Jackie doesn't use the back arm swing, but she comes out of the glove at 6 o clock, showing the ball for all 360 degrees of her arm delivery. Chelsea is the best...and close to her are the Renfroe sisters from Tenn. Ricketts is another Big Thrower with the back arm swing, and the Rollover cross corner drop they call a crop...a girly thing...The worst/best example of girly is Jordan Taylor with her windup. back arm swing and chicken winged rollover drop. The hip thing Bill teaches is to remind the pitcher to throw in front of the body, by twisting in the push off so not to throw around the hip, but in front of the body where you get your speed.
Jackie must have seen some other girl pitcher do the twist thing years ago...It's like monkey see monkey do. The twist or starting with the ball at the side are just a reminder to turn and throw the ball in the power alley and not around the hip.
A habit Thomas has is to bend over after every pitch and tap the resin bag, which is wasted energy when she has to pitch 3 games over the weekend...she could pat the bag on her pant leg or put the resin bag in her back pocket and save energy. Girls who use dirt on their fingers don't have a clue. but dirt only makes for a slippery grip.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Has anyone actually seen, in a college game, the act of a third base coach eyeballing the gripping going on inside the glove by the pitcher to then effectively relay the pitch coming to the batter?

I would love to see a video clip, and hear, the case of this identification and communication to the batter. I have a suspicion that pitch-stealing like this is a hoax. (unlike the stealing of the signs from the dugout with then ample time to relay the pitch type).

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Has anyone actually seen, in a college game, the act of a third base coach eyeballing the gripping going on inside the glove by the pitcher to then effectively relay the pitch coming to the batter?

I would love to see a video clip, and hear, the case of this identification and communication to the batter. I have a suspicion that pitch-stealing like this is a hoax. (unlike the stealing of the signs from the dugout with then ample time to relay the pitch type).

I remember last year's drama of the Oregon coach yelling out the pitch to his batters in the Texas game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We've played 18 games so far in HS, I'd bet I've seen 7-8 pitchers use this pre motion. Reminds me of all the girls trying to mimic Abbott a few years ago. Funny thing is probably 1 of those 8 even know the "reason" why she does it.

Jul 26, 2010
We've played 18 games so far in HS, I'd bet I've seen 7-8 pitchers use this pre motion. Reminds me of all the girls trying to mimic Abbott a few years ago. Funny thing is probably 1 of those 8 even know the "reason" why she does it.

I've seen HS pitchers actually twist the wrong way, showing their grip to the batter. These kids are all monkey-see monkey-do. . . and I'm guessing their pitching coaches are the same. They've no idea why they're doing this. If their mechanics were correct, they wouldn't need to "hide" anything because they would give nothing away.

-W

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Why does she do it?

Jul 26, 2010
Abbott does the bend in half and nearly touch your toes before your pitch thing. I think that's what GD is referring too. A lot of kids copy this. Same thing with Osterman and her reaching for the sky pre-motion. Copied by many for no reason.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors