twist in motion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Old Error on this Thread

Was just googling some stuff on my website and saw this post (below) from earlier in the thread......wanted to set something straight. I (Rick Pauly) was a fastpitch pitcher.....pitched class A level but played infield when playing at the Major Mens level.....at 78 mph I was just good batting practice at that level. Is it mandatory to have pitched to be a good instructor....probably not, but it is definitely and advantage when you can demo what your are trying to teach.

Previous post.....
4 of the 6 you mention are extra tall and giant. Just because these girls are most successful doesn't meant the back arm swing had anything to do with their success or being correct role models for smaller girls. Maybe their size,athletic ability and desire had more to do with their success than who taught them to use the back arm swing and the roll over drops most of these great ones use. Ueno relys on speed, Mowatt on the change, Abbott and Cat on being wrong handed, and Pauly having a father with past fast pitch experience, even though he wasn't a pitcher. The best role models today are Chelsea Thomas and the two Renfroe sisters. They throw like men and not little girls. Face it Girls fast pitch is over rated as far as quality goes but it has the numbers that make it big time sport. With HS and college softball, the sport will grow, but it needs the likes of Hillhouse and Gillis to teach girls the right way to throw underhand. Justify why girls should use the back arm swing. It has no benefit and it is a monkey see monkey do girl thing. None of the men use the back arm swing since the rocking horse delivery with the crow hop was banned back in the early 70s.

Why don't the Renfroe sisters and Thomas use the back arm swing and the roll over drop? And men don't throw fast balls, curves and screw balls. It Up Down and Change up.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"Abbott does the bend in half and nearly touch your toes before your pitch thing"

That move is called a 'forward dip' and has been specifically blamed, by Ortho surgeons, for causing spinal stress fractures of the lumbar spine in young pitchers.

One of the 'Elite' pitchers you do NOT want to 'Watch and do what she does''.

Dec 20, 2012
"Abbott does the bend in half and nearly touch your toes before your pitch thing"

That move is called a 'forward dip' and has been specifically blamed, by Ortho surgeons, for causing spinal stress fractures of the lumbar spine in young pitchers.

One of the 'Elite' pitchers you do NOT want to 'Watch and do what she does''.

So now bending over and touching your toes causes stress fractures the lumbar spine???? Guess I won't be able to tie my shoes any more! I would think the forward dip when planting would be the culprit of a spinal injury. Or maybe all that force moving forward and a sudden stop would cause some kind of damage. Nope, just touching your toes will do it.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Slinginit,

Have you not followed any of the posts talking about those injuries occuring because of the 'Ford Dip'. It is the bend at the waist and then coming up AS you start your push off that causes the damage. Sudden stopping as you are standing straight up, that also causes stress to the lumbar spine.

I know, you are too busy trying to insult people to care about things like that.

Dec 20, 2012
Slinginit,

Have you not followed any of the posts talking about those injuries occuring because of the 'Ford Dip'. It is the bend at the waist and then coming up AS you start your push off that causes the damage. Sudden stopping as you are standing straight up, that also causes stress to the lumbar spine.

I know, you are too busy trying to insult people to care about things like that.

Insulting people, trying to push your book.....tomaytoes, tomahtoes You know VERY little about the human body! You would be the very last person on this forum I would take advice from concerning the cause and effects of any motion a pitcher makes!! That is not an insult, it has been proven by your viewpoint on weight training, magic rise balls, you saying one thing and seeing a video of your student doing the exact opposite of what you preach. And could you please point me to the post that talks about the Ford Dip?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
Stress fractures are real fractures (breaks in the bone) that are all too common in today’s athletes. The cause of stress fractures is usually found in the patient’s history. The most common cause of a stress fracture is overuse. It can occur as a runner picks up their mileage too quickly or changes a running surface from soft to hard. Runners are particularly prone to lower extremity stress fractures due to the nature of the sport. Nutritional risk factors include lack of calcium, protein, and caloric intake. Tennis, basketball and volleyball players can get stress fractures of the feet, tibia (leg) or hip by playing too often. Intensity, frequency, and duration of an activity all play a role in the development of a stress fracture. Upper extremity stress fractures (especially the ulnar shaft)are seen in baseball pitchers, tennis players and softball pitchers.The female athlete triad; amenorrhea, poor nutrition and overtraining are associated with stress fractures and long-term osteoporosis.

For someone who cares so much you should take time to research what you are saying. Giving misinformation and not addressing the real root of the problem is very careless if you ask me!

Dec 7, 2011
Slinginit,

The 'Ford Dip'. It is the bend at the waist and then coming up AS you start your push off that causes the damage. Sudden stopping as you are standing straight up, that also causes stress to the lumbar spine.

Hal I tried to message you private but it appears blocked:

Hal - what was the actual diagnosis of the lumbar stress fracture that you were seeing relative to the "Ford dip"? Was it a Pars break?

Reason I ask is that 8 of the 9 cases I have been informed on over the last year that I have been referring in other threads have been Pars Interarticularis stress fractures. These, I believe from my readings, are more of an outcome of repetitive arched-back-torquings of the spine. (torqueing being the major factor and arched back being the lesser - meaning that all types of pitching motions can get a Pars break from doing too much). I am not saying that the forward bend-over couldn't be a culprit on its own for another type of lumbar stress fracture BUT I am not seeing it be a consistent part of Pars Interarticularis stress fractures.

Thinking about it more I wonder if the forward-bend motion induces more of a core muscle imbalance that would lend to bad body support of the lumbar.... (The Abbott style has got to create a bigger set of back muscles to get the torso upright each and every pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors