Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a girl (14) that in the last couple of sessions working on more hands turning the barrel as opposed to the "throw the hands" style I had been teaching her that had shifting THEN swinging

RayR. I like that post. A swing that is far from awesome but certainly getting better from a young girl working hard. That's the type of contribution we need to keep a thread moving forward.

You know as I look at the various swings used as examples on this topic by both sides I notice a couple of things.

1. Still pictures of hitters reinforce the bat lag/later pivot point model. That is because they cannot show the more circular hand path evidenced in video clips.

2. The deep early pivot point is more of a feel but isn't always seen clearly in video because the lower body turns so much quicker than the barrel (hips are only going about 90 degrees on a fixed pivot point, barrel much more than 90 degrees so it arrives later)

These observations are helping me better understand what is actually going on.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Dec 2010:"throw the hands"
albefore12110.gif

Feb 2013:''hands turning the barrel''
al225131.gif

Trying to move the thread along also.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2011
You can defend the teaching but not the teacher. You don't get kicked off multi sites for no reason!

When new ideas mount a formidable challenge to old ideas, you can find yourself kicked off sites for no reason...other than a fear of the new.

To prevent different ideas from reaching the arena because there is a dislike for its advocate is pathetic IMO.

Let me hear the new ideas. I'll decide for myself if I want to reject them.

This is a great place to come for information and the absolute authority over any board by its owners is not being challenged and its rules have to be followed...and there is no 'however' or a 'but'. That's final. I can live with that.

Those that want to know, have to take the initiative on their own and visit where the information is flowing from. Just don't be deterred from helping your DD and students because someone said that someone said that someone said......

Feb 3, 2013
You can defend the teaching but not the teacher. You don't get kicked off multi sites for no reason!

Many kids could care less about the personalities of the person supplying information. They care more about having good information made available to them. Perhaps we could discuss hitting rather than personalities.

I’ll ask you the same question I asked Mann.

Is there something specific about the teachings at HI that you think is poor?

R

RayR

Thanks L -

She is 14 and still developing in terms of strength. The rear leg and SnF drills are certainly working for her as she gains more control of her overall movement.

She can flat out hit at the level she is at (14U) - this Spring she has a chance of starting HS varsity as a freshmen so we will see if she can continue to hit older pitchers instead of just pitchers her age. But, so far so good as she is playing in an indoor HS aged 4 on 4 league and is hitting well....

RayR. I like that post. A swing that is far from awesome but certainly getting better from a young girl working hard. That's the type of contribution we need to keep a thread moving forward.

You know as I look at the various swings used as examples on this topic by both sides I notice a couple of things.

1. Still pictures of hitters reinforce the bat lag/later pivot point model. That is because they cannot show the more circular hand path evidenced in video clips.

2. The deep early pivot point is more of a feel but isn't always seen clearly in video because the lower body turns so much quicker than the barrel (hips are only going about 90 degrees on a fixed pivot point, barrel much more than 90 degrees so it arrives later)

These observations are helping me better understand what is actually going on.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Marcus/Richard I can give you many examples of you cutting and pasting things from other sites to Hi that are not what was said at all. You own the site so you can do as you wish, but lacking tact you chase off many potential members who like your info, but can't stand how you delivery it! Bottom line if you can get the same information from a person that has a good personality I will go with that source. At my age I have dealt with many like you so have a good day sir!

Feb 3, 2013
Marcus/Richard I can give you many examples of you cutting and pasting things from other sites to Hi that are not what was said at all. You own the site so you can do as you wish, but lacking tact you chase off many potential members who like your info, but can't stand how you delivery it! Bottom line if you can get the same information from a person that has a good personality I will go with that source. At my age I have dealt with many like you so have a good day sir!

Is it true that posts are being copied and re-edited to deliver a different message? I would think folks would quickly see through that.

Oct 12, 2009
When new ideas mount a formidable challenge to old ideas, you can find yourself kicked off sites for no reason...other than a fear of the new.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing new in TM's good stuff.

It's just a repackaging of old ideas (e.g. running start becomes turning the barrel).

I also don't think that anyone can deny that TM displays antisocial if not sociopathic tendencies.

Stalking people's kids isn't something that happens every day.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, just reread the thread at HI blog involving your daughter. Not once did he bash/demean her.

He made comments to your points/beliefs in swinging a bat. Alas, 3 pages of it. He is on a mission to help kids/parents on what he believes it takes to swing HL, and to debate anyone who say they teach HL but video does not validate their claims.

I respect you SL, but your on a mission to discredit him and others that HI philosophy is full of bs. He took the gloves off with you in that thread. You didnt like it, got butt hurt and now your on this mission. We are here for our kids, our time has past, give them a fair chance.

The snf drills is to get the feeling of the rhpp. To feel the stretch for the first time and to practice it so when you incorporate in your stance its a no teach. ( They are other aspects reward barrel, hpp, ect. but dont want to be accused of propaganda :) )

Again, to be fair so members who dont know, he didnt bash your dd.

That is 100% false
I posted video of my dd trying the snf drill
I have thanked Ray and Redhot for posts they have made.
Does the barrel turn... yes
Does the bat get flat fast... yes

I disagree the wrist release point. Front shoulder flying out.

SL

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Dec 2010:"throw the hands"
albefore12110.gif

Feb 2013:''hands turning the barrel''
al225131.gif

Trying to move the thread along also.

Move the focus for a second from her hands to her back elbow/loading process.

Before, extremely weak position, pushy, arm swing. Flat shoulders, flat swing plane.

After, she loads up her larger (back muscles) and launches with those. Also, shoulders swap/proper tilt.

That's a huge improvement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1