Tryout Etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We went to a 14U tryout 2 years ago and there were many kids wearing gear of the team hosting the tryouts. At the end of the session they brought all the girls to the outfield and rattled off the names of several girls asking them to stay. The rest of the girls were told thanks for coming out. I saw a bunch of those kids with the team gear crying as they were not asked to join the team. I didn't like how the team handled that, but karma is a cruel lady. Come to find out that many of the girls that were offered went to another team's tryout and ended up going with that team. The team that hosted the tryouts didn't even field a team that year. There was some extraordinary talent at that tryout and I would have been happy fielding a team with the bottom 1/3 of the kids that were there that night.

Jul 4, 2013
My daughter's strategy is always to wear a shirt with her name on it (and no team affiliation). And if we attend multiple days, she wears the same shirt to maximize the chances that the coaches link up her performances. Coaches find talent no matter what they wear, but I'm all about anything to make the coach's job easier. It's about making it easier for the coaches to learn who you are.

I've been to tryouts at one (soccer) organization that gave numbered dri-fit t-shirts with the team logo to everyone who attended tryouts--one color for returning players, another for new players. That was a classy way to handle things, and sure looked great on the field.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
Update - very surprised that I'm at a org tryout where girls are in full uniform from their prior team... We went with a tourney shirt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Lots of girls wear team uniforms to tryouts from what I can tell.

Yes, I was at one today with 24 girls there and I would say that all but a handful wore their team uniform. It's not like you're going to be totally incognito because you have to fill out a form and it always asks for previous/current team.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Our tryout is next weekend. We are part of a large organization. I have 9 returning girls but nothing is guaranteed. I instructed them not to wear any team gear to tryout. We expect 20-30 girls and I want them competing just like everyone else.

Sent from my typewriter

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Over the years I've seen it done a number of ways, there are variations on uniforms, whether prior year players try out, etc. The bottom line is talent will show and if you crush the ball in a polka dot dress they're going to want you.

Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
I think it can help players and parents when the girls on the current team wear their uniforms so you can see what kind of girls are on the team. My DD really enjoyed hanging out with the girls on the team at a recent tryout and it helped her make the decison to join them. My DD also wore her team uniform and so did several other girls. But I agree - I don't think wearing a certain team jersey means anything to a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish