Tryout Etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
Interesting as our current org has current players wear team practice tees at their tryouts - which I found gave a nice impression - it has generally been a Gold A level/college focused organization in the position to be selecting players. No guessing who's already on the team and you can see the quality of what you are joining. First year of first daughters tryouts she didn't even have a helmet... We quickly went out and got a bright yellow one :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Generally when going to a new team tryout, I send my kid incognito if possible. No team jersey, no tournament shirts, nothing like that. I don't want the name on her jersey to define her, she has to get out there and work hard for an offer.

Feb 7, 2013
Alert - thread detour ahead

Better to try out Saturday or Sunday? - now that we have what we are wearing picked out.

Most tryouts DD has been to were for 2 days so sat/sun is a moot point. Regarding what to wear, if it's a legitimate tryout where any player can get cut, I don't like it when players wear the same practice jerseys as the organization running the team tryout. No player should have a god given right to make the team, IMO. It breeds entitlement and complacency...seen it too many times.

Nov 29, 2009
I was told by a coach to wear a color that stands out, like hot pink and don't wear another organizations gear.

Exactly!! Had a couple of girls tryout in the past wearing neon pink shirts with their last name on the back. There was no checking the sheets for their names or tryout number.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Went to a fantastic tryout tonight where Coach wound up giving up on the tryout numbers stuck on their backs (kept falling off). He sat down in the dugout with them and learned every single girl's name. He told them that they would sit down again at the end of the tryout and that if he missed any, he would run the bases. He missed one and he hauled butt around the bases. There were 20 girls there; not an easy task. I was really impressed with this guy. Some of the other coaches we've seen so far in this tryout cycle were really good coaches, but the people skills/making them feel welcome part was lacking.

Aug 6, 2013
A team here asked that the girls show up in their team uniforms like they are ready to play in a game. I wonder if the coaches of this team wanted to know who each girl played for to find their team record?

DD has been hitting tryouts in tournament shirts and plain black pants and her signature mis-matched long socks, lol.

Feb 15, 2016
When taking your DD to an organization that her older sister played for, and you left that org in good standing, would you send her in practice shirt/shorts/helmet from that org to their tryout? Same question in returning to an org that DD played for 2 years ago but didn't have a team at her age level last year so had to go elsewhere. Both specific coaches are new to the respective organizations so don't necessarily know the connection.

BTW - obviously she needs to play great and earn an offer. I think her confidence will be boosted by wearing some team wear of the team she is trying out for but don't want to break from the standards in a negative way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show up in whatever shirt the girl wants to wear. Wear pants and not shorts. If she is good the coaches won't care what she is wearing.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here is something I observed about a team having tryouts. They didn't have the team members tryout with others as they have a core that was asked back. During the tryouts, one parent asked me if this team was any good since many of those trying out looked terrible. He didn't want his dd playing in that organization if they were that bad and wondered who among those trying out were on the team this past summer. I didn't know what to tell him.

Jun 12, 2015
Went to a fantastic tryout tonight where Coach wound up giving up on the tryout numbers stuck on their backs (kept falling off). He sat down in the dugout with them and learned every single girl's name. He told them that they would sit down again at the end of the tryout and that if he missed any, he would run the bases. He missed one and he hauled butt around the bases. There were 20 girls there; not an easy task. I was really impressed with this guy. Some of the other coaches we've seen so far in this tryout cycle were really good coaches, but the people skills/making them feel welcome part was lacking.
That's pretty important, imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish