Trouble with low & inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes. We talk about the rear shoulder "working under" the front shoulder. I like to ask kids if they pop up in a game what is the first thing their coach/dad says to them? It's usually "don't drop your back shoulder". I often then show them a Kris Bryant clip. He's a clear example of the back shoulder working under.
8PLSwje.gif

IMO most kids are "two legged" and their shoulders stay relatively level. Spinal axis. When teaching them to work the right shoulder under the left it is important for them to be "one legged" or then they will just be simply dropping their shoulder and prone to popping up. One leggedness allows the hitter to tilt properly and get to all pitches......

Very good post [MENTION=10061]Spartans21[/MENTION]. I do find it interesting how different people can use the same terms to mean different things. That was very confusing for me when I first started following the various hitting sites.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Very good post [MENTION=10061]Spartans21[/MENTION]. I do find it interesting how different people can use the same terms to mean different things. That was very confusing for me when I first started following the various hitting sites.

Yep, especially when some folks 2 legged definition means shifting accross the pelvis to the front leg vs falling into both legs without compromising the rear leg hip relationship... Do you know anyone who teaches Rich's version of 2 legged version?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
Yep, especially when some folks 2 legged definition means shifting accross the pelvis to the front leg vs falling into both legs without compromising the rear leg hip relationship... Do you know anyone who teaches Rich's version of 2 legged version?

Check Twitter. Post a clip. Lots out there....

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Check Twitter. Post a clip. Lots out there....

Ok, but why not just call it what it is.. I believe back in the day it was called shift then swing (shifting weight across the pelvis to the front leg).. If anything it would appear to be one legged but using the lead leg.

Either way its improper use of both legs in the high level swing..

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
Ok, but why not just call it what it is.. I believe back in the day it was called shift then swing (shifting weight across the pelvis to the front leg).. If anything it would appear to be one legged but using the lead leg.

Either way its improper use of both legs in the high level swing..

I think there is one legged and two legged. Yes two legged would be shift then swing. It's just terminology. Call it what you would like.

IMO the swings you like are one legged. When making points you usually use a one legged swing on an off speed pitch. The swings still have great depth which is an indicator the hitter is still "back". Try to produce barrel depth without being "back".....

I feel like we have been going back and forth on both sites for a while now. Show me one of your hitters. If it matches I will gladly inquire more info. But generally I'm just confused.......

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I think there is one legged and two legged. Yes two legged would be shift then swing. It's just terminology. Call it what you would like.

IMO the swings you like are one legged. When making points you usually use a one legged swing on an off speed pitch. The swings still have great depth which is an indicator the hitter is still "back". Try to produce barrel depth without being "back".....

I feel like we have been going back and forth on both sites for a while now. Show me one of your hitters. If it matches I will gladly inquire more info. But generally I'm just confused.......

Spartans, my use of 2 legs is not compromising the rear leg/hip relationship but leveraging all available resources (including both legs)when creating the change in direction of the barrel to whip the bat..

Dec 4, 2013
Spartans, my use of 2 legs is not compromising the rear leg/hip relationship but leveraging all available resources (including both legs)when creating the change in direction of the barrel to whip the bat..

And I believe the front leg doesn't need to be taught. Focus on the rear leg/hip and you are in business........

How do you teach it?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
And I believe the front leg doesn't need to be taught. Focus on the rear leg/hip and you are in business........

How do you teach it?

I beleive if you sequence correctly both legs will do there thing.... Before your time there were piles of students posted here and elsewhere that focused on the rear leg/hip and never matched the high level pattern.. But if your content with that focus and it works for your students nothing else should matter.

Dec 4, 2013
I beleive if you sequence correctly both legs will do there thing.... Before your time there were piles of students posted here and elsewhere that focused on the rear leg/hip and never matched the high level pattern.. But if your content with that focus and it works for your students nothing else should matter.

Very content. Do you want to go into sequencing correctly? The other guy at BBD chose not to...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Very content. Do you want to go into sequencing correctly? The other guy at BBD chose not to...

Spartans, its not rocket science.. Back in the day it was called "forward yet back" If the body sequences correctly while moving forward the rear leg/hip relationship should happen naturally and at the same time the barrel gets a running start... I am done focusing on certain segments of the sequence due to lack of balance...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish