Trouble with low & inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Spartans, its not rocket science.. Back in the day it was called "forward yet back" If the body sequences correctly while moving forward the rear leg/hip relationship should happen naturally and at the same time the barrel gets a running start... I am done focusing on certain segments of the sequence due to lack of balance...

Who said it was rocket science? So how do YOU teach it? What makes what you do different from everyone else on BBD? You are the only guy who talks about saggital planes....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
WRT the bold. I hear this a lot and for the life of me I can not figure out why being balanced to the ground after a swing is important. Do you mind sharing your thoughts on the matter.

Sorry it took so long. I haven't really been on for more than a few minutes at a time. There's so much I can say about this but the 2 main reasons, IMO, are if the hitter is off-balance after the swing, then she's more than likely off-balance during the swing. This causes issues usually with tilt and getting the back shoulder to "work under" the front one IME because there's no stable platform to build off of. The other issue I have with it is the hitter needs to control the bat through the finish. Again, JMO, but if they're not finishing low to high out front, they're losing as much as 20% of their power. Being off-balance after contact will usually not allow them to finish out front but usually has them finishing "around" and leaking power. You already know about your DD's tilt issue. Now, watch her finish. She does a nice job keeping her hands inside the ball but after contact, she's finishing across or "around" her body. Her not being balanced is not allowing her to keep the bat behind the ball (bat's not squaring up to the ball) which is the desired outcome.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Who said it was rocket science? So how do YOU teach it? What makes what you do different from everyone else on BBD? You are the only guy who talks about saggital planes....

Spartans, the sagittal talk was for the folks that needed every movement defined.. Are you or any of your hitters able to get forward yet back without movement within the s-plane ?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Sorry it took so long. I haven't really been on for more than a few minutes at a time. There's so much I can say about this but the 2 main reasons, IMO, are if the hitter is off-balance after the swing, then she's more than likely off-balance during the swing. This causes issues usually with tilt and getting the back shoulder to "work under" the front one IME because there's no stable platform to build off of. The other issue I have with it is the hitter needs to control the bat through the finish. Again, JMO, but if they're not finishing low to high out front, they're losing as much as 20% of their power. Being off-balance after contact will usually not allow them to finish out front but usually has them finishing "around" and leaking power. You already know about your DD's tilt issue. Now, watch her finish. She does a nice job keeping her hands inside the ball but after contact, she's finishing across or "around" her body. her not being balanced is not allowing her to keep the bat behind the ball.

Ok so you are saying it is just an indicator? Which can be the caused by many different issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Spartans, its not rocket science.. Back in the day it was called "forward yet back" If the body sequences correctly while moving forward the rear leg/hip relationship should happen naturally and at the same time the barrel gets a running start... I am done focusing on certain segments of the sequence due to lack of balance...

Yeah, the good old days.... Lol! I think the bold parts above are still valid even though many like to use different words to describe it.

Oct 2, 2015
Sorry it took so long. I haven't really been on for more than a few minutes at a time. There's so much I can say about this but the 2 main reasons, IMO, are if the hitter is off-balance after the swing, then she's more than likely off-balance during the swing. This causes issues usually with tilt and getting the back shoulder to "work under" the front one IME because there's no stable platform to build off of. The other issue I have with it is the hitter needs to control the bat through the finish. Again, JMO, but if they're not finishing low to high out front, they're losing as much as 20% of their power. Being off-balance after contact will usually not allow them to finish out front but usually has them finishing "around" and leaking power. You already know about your DD's tilt issue. Now, watch her finish. She does a nice job keeping her hands inside the ball but after contact, she's finishing across or "around" her body. Her not being balanced is not allowing her to keep the bat behind the ball (bat's not squaring up to the ball) which is the desired outcome.

"Leaking power"...dude I love that phrase! Seriously!
I can almost hear the air slowing being let out of a balloon, with ceratin miscues or mistakes in a batter's swing, from Leaking Power.

Here's how I would use it...

"My DDs are rotation hitters... and anyone who teaches them a linear hand/ small ball hitting techniques, causes them to Leak Power at a rate of 25-30% from max"...

"Leaking power"... "Power Leakage"...great description! I'll be barkin' that at my DDs all the time now..."Hey! Your leakin' power!" :D

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Spartans, the sagittal talk was for the folks that needed every movement defined.. Are you or any of your hitters able to get forward yet back without movement within the s-plane ?

IYO is tilt a sagittal action?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
IYO is tilt a sagittal action?

Tipping up front stretch needs sagittal actions in order to have a balanced forward yet back re-action. Without it's all forward yet forward (no forward yet back)..

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
Tipping up front stretch needs sagittal actions in order to have a balanced forward yet back re-action. Without it's all forward yet forward (no forward yet back)..

I don't talk about planes.......So how do you teach "getting to your core" or "into both legs" without compromising the rear hip/leg relationship or whatever vocab you use?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't talk about planes.......So how do you teach "getting to your core" or "into both legs" without compromising the rear hip/leg relationship or whatever vocab you use?

Most of the parents and students I work with, theres an education in regards to how the body needs to sequence with balance.. Show them lots of video to support the concept. Most of the parents/kids were taught to stride while keeping the hands back. When the first session is done both the parent and kid have felt the balanced sequence of movements...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy