Trouble with low & inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like to stress tilting away from the opposite middle infielder. A way to get a kid to accomplish this feel is to have them take a dry swing as if they were hitting a ball straight up in the air. I have also had them hit off of a really high tee. When kids do this they usually get a feeling in their back that may have never felt before. We also talk about "falling off the cliff". The feeling of their rear hip "falling behind" their femur. IMO the tilt has to be in the rear hip socket.....
IQTQAbI.gif

Here is a kid working on incorporating some lateral tilt into her swing...

Hope you don't mind.
wDlRAfg.gif

I liked this one you posted at BBD. Good example of 'tilt'.

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for the tilt thoughts. Excellent. Would love any further working-with-hitter thoughts....

Also: do you emphasize shoulder plane or alignment at all?....ie, attack mode rear shoulder higher to contact point rear shoulder lower? And the resultant diagonal bat angle that creates? Alongside the rear femur tilt/pivot point?

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for the tilt thoughts. Excellent. Would love any further working-with-hitter thoughts....

Also: do you emphasize shoulder plane or alignment at all?....ie, attack mode rear shoulder higher to contact point rear shoulder lower? And the resultant diagonal bat angle that creates? Alongside the rear femur tilt/pivot point?

Yes. We talk about the rear shoulder "working under" the front shoulder. I like to ask kids if they pop up in a game what is the first thing their coach/dad says to them? It's usually "don't drop your back shoulder". I often then show them a Kris Bryant clip. He's a clear example of the back shoulder working under.
8PLSwje.gif

IMO most kids are "two legged" and their shoulders stay relatively level. Spinal axis. When teaching them to work the right shoulder under the left it is important for them to be "one legged" or then they will just be simply dropping their shoulder and prone to popping up. One leggedness allows the hitter to tilt properly and get to all pitches......

Sep 17, 2009
Yes. We talk about the rear shoulder "working under" the front shoulder. I like to ask kids if they pop up in a game what is the first thing their coach/dad says to them? It's usually "don't drop your back shoulder". I often then show them a Kris Bryant clip. He's a clear example of the back shoulder working under.
8PLSwje.gif

IMO most kids are "two legged" and their shoulders stay relatively level. Spinal axis. When teaching them to work the right shoulder under the left it is important for them to be "one legged" or then they will just be simply dropping their shoulder and prone to popping up. One leggedness allows the hitter to tilt properly and get to all pitches......

Yep, this all resonates very strongly from what I see with hitters, feel myself and try to teach -- though I need some new/better/refreshed language, so thanks!

High tee is interesting. Low tee (such as Bryant's swing above) also effective I find. So many kids stop working "under" against machine/live pitching and then wonder why they aren't squaring up but are topping everything. Tilt to square the ball.

TKS.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
8PLSwje.gif

This is a nice post!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
8PLSwje.gif

Just adding some additional thought:
The swing drops the rear shoulder....dependent on the pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish