Tried & True tips for de-stinking a glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We tried freezing, febreze, lysol, odor eater powder. . . Nothing worked. Decided dd must sweat toxic fumes.

DH finally grabbed some of those sneaker balls at Walmart. We sprayed everything with apple cider vinegar, let it dry, then threw those balls in her bag, in her cleats, and inside her glove. Let them all air out.

Didn't take the odors entirely away, but at least we don't have to duct tape the glove to the roof of the car now - and it really did wonders for her bat bag and cleats. Ziploc bags for travel are a must. Dd is such a sweet kid, with such a smelly problem! �� Good luck!

Drying in the sun will help too.

Oct 16, 2014
Drying in the sun will help too.

still raining here. Feels like it's been raining f o r e v e r.
Glove is in the freezer as we speak, Obenaufs is arriving tonight by 8pm

thanks again everyone I'll let you know if it works!

Oct 16, 2014
Tried and true method. Soak the glove in gasoline. Set it on fire. Put it in the trash can. Buy a new glove. :)

ahhh if it weren't mid season I may consider this!!! DD has a hard enough time holding on to the ball on occasion I don't want "breaking in a new glove" to be part of the problem lol

This stinky glove is killing me right now!!

End of this season if the stink is still there I'll throw it in a bonfire and film/post it here :p

Mar 8, 2016
Freezing only kills a small percentage of the bacterial population. Labs freeze bacterial samples to preserve them for later use. There is a percentage that are killed each freeze and thaw cycle. It is the freezing and thawing that actually kill the bacteria. Your best bet would be to put it in the freezer every night and take it out in the morning. Having never put a glove in the freezer I have no idea what multiple trips to the freezer would do to a glove.

Oct 16, 2014
Freezing only kills a small percentage of the bacterial population. Labs freeze bacterial samples to preserve them for later use. There is a percentage that are killed each freeze and thaw cycle. It is the freezing and thawing that actually kill the bacteria. Your best bet would be to put it in the freezer every night and take it out in the morning. Having never put a glove in the freezer I have no idea what multiple trips to the freezer would do to a glove.

I think you may be on to something here. I froze it for about 18 hours then took it out last night because she was going to practice. As it was "thawing out" I noticed that there was condensation on the outside of the glove. Not a lot but a thin layer. I think the embedded moisture was being pulled out of the glove as it thawed. Her glove has always felt "damp" inside for lack of a better word, so maybe something is happening in that regard. The smell was slightly decreased after it thawed but then she warned me once she used it and it got all warm again on her hand the smell would probably return. She ended up not practicing so I stuck it back in there last night. I'm about to take it out and let it thaw so I can oil it.
Gosh I hope this works. She is very picky about her glove and I cannot imagine needing to get her a new one right now, but the smell is that bad.

Oct 16, 2014
so.....it isn't really a whole lot better. I think maybe we should have had her wear an inner glove from the beginning since she gets a sweaty hand. I think the rain just sent it over the edge.

on another note the Obenauf's leather preservative is awesome. made the OUTSIDE of her glove like new again

Also have heard good things about these Glove Sticks, haven't tried them personally yet

Aug 30, 2015
I think its time for the vinegar. . .! If it does something bad for the glove, what can it hurt at this point?

DW has upped the ante. . . she has now discovered unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar. . . working much better that ordinary apple cider vinegar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes