Glove help for a newbie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2022
Hello, I started playing a couple of here ago in a mixed men/women fastpitch team, anyway I also play slowpitch sometimes. I starred playing with a Rawlings R9 12,75 baseball glove (302 pattern) and I use it as an utility glove (I play third base or outfield). Now I wished to gift me with a better glove...and my question is: are the deepest baseball pattern good for softball too or should I choose a glove specific for softball? I can't understand. I was thinking about a pro208 if I choose to buy a 12,50 or a 303 if I choose to remain with a 12,75...but I don't know if a softball glove should be better.
Thank you everyone

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The Pro302 plays long and narrow, with a smaller hand stall. Tell me the exact length glove you’re looking for and I’ll tell you several models that play deeper and wider than your current glove.

Sep 19, 2018
I am pretty sure sis bates plays SS with a Wilson a2000 1975 baseball glove. Plenty of great options playing with a baseball glove

Oct 24, 2022
The Pro302 plays long and narrow, with a smaller hand stall. Tell me the exact length glove you’re looking for and I’ll tell you several models that play deeper and wider than your current glove.
Thank you! I think that I'll be better to keep using a 12,75" so my purchase will be that length...do you have anche model to recommend?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thank you! I think that I'll be better to keep using a 12,75" so my purchase will be that length...do you have anche model to recommend?
If you're staying with a 12.75" the most logical pick is your Pro302's big brother, the Pro303.

If you can shorten up a 1/4" this new 12.5" Pro208 exclusive at Don Morton's is hard to beat, just a killer Slow Pitch infield pattern that can easily be used in the outfield!

And if you really need deep and wide in a 12.75" glove, build yourself a custom "JD9" off of the Rawlings builder, pretty sure it's Rawlings deepest offering.

Not the best infield option (although Ozzie would disagree) this 12.75" PRO-T Six-Finger trap is a killer outfield glove!

And @cnardone is right, baseball glove all the way!

Anyway....there's my Don Morton plug of the day!

Oct 24, 2022
If you're staying with a 12.75" the most logical pick is your Pro302's big brother, the Pro303.

If you can shorten up a 1/4" this new 12.5" Pro208 exclusive at Don Morton's is hard to beat, just a killer Slow Pitch infield pattern that can easily be used in the outfield!

And if you really need deep and wide in a 12.75" glove, build yourself a custom "JD9" off of the Rawlings builder, pretty sure it's Rawlings deepest offering.

Not the best infield option (although Ozzie would disagree) this 12.75" PRO-T Six-Finger trap is a killer outfield glove!

And @cnardone is right, baseball glove all the way!

Anyway....there's my Don Morton plug of the day!
Wow! Thank you my friend, your tips are so useful and I also have to say that thise gloves are really wondeful to see. Could you please explain me how do this horween esclusive gloves work? Are they esclusive made for particular sellers in the US? I really love this 208 anyway

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Wow! Thank you my friend, your tips are so useful and I also have to say that thise gloves are really wondeful to see. Could you please explain me how do this horween esclusive gloves work? Are they esclusive made for particular sellers in the US? I really love this 208 anyway
Don Morton's (Ballgloves.com) and SoftballFans.com are the two major players that order exclusives that are "exclusive" to their website. Take the DM Pro1000 for example that's been out of stock and ordered for a good while (just ask @pattar).

That Pro1000 is a old, very loved, and very iconic Rawlings model / pattern, same for the Pro12TC and the RV23, PRO-T, etc. What I don't know, or I'm not sure of.....is if Morton's has sole exclusive rights to those models? What I do know is you can't even order a custom Pro1000 off of the custom builder, if you want a Pro1000 you'll have to get it from Don Morton's!

And when I say I really don't know about the exclusivity, I do know you can get lucky and get a 12.25" Pro1000 Spring Trainer on Rawlings site from time to time, rare though!

The way Morton's does their orders, they order a batch of ~60~ or so of a certain model, when they sell out they reorder another batch. Sometimes they have subtle changes, sometimes huge changes like going from a Jtan leather shell to Horween, and then really huge changes like going full Horween including the liner.

I'm tired of writing! 😫 I'm sure you get where I'm going!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478