Tried & True tips for de-stinking a glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
DD's glove smells like something died in it. It's a nice Wilson that she has finally gotten broken in how she loves it ,so buying her a new glove is a last resort. However, this thing smells terrible. Like imagine cleats smell but in a glove. Started after they had to play all day in the rain and it got pretty wet. We had came home that night and let it dry out in the house and then oiled it up but then the smell started the very next weekend. I've tried sprinkling cornstarch in the finger wells and even lysol on the wrist strap and wiped it all down as far as I could reach inside. and that didn't work. Google search brings up people pouring boiling water through their gloves but I don't think I want to try that.

She's had this glove over a year. Is this really just the lifespan?

Any advice welcomed. DD just wants to be able to eat lunch between games without the smell on her hand grossing her out LOL.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD had the exact same problem years ago. We discovered that if DD wears a batting glove inside her glove, it really helps eliminate the bad smell. To save glove, you can always put glove in freezer to kill the "smelly" bacteria. :)

And FWIW DD loves the smell of her "glove" hand. Weird kid. ;)

Aug 30, 2015
Just an idea. . . vinegar has done wonders. . .with other odors.

Our kids have strong BO. Mom now has them mist a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water in their armpits before they apply the deodorant. Vinegar is a known bacteria killer.

Kids smell like fresh roses at the end of the day! Well, not like fresh roses but no more stink.

Before I used the vinegar, though, I would research a bit to make sure it's not a bad mix with good leather.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Put the glove in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a couple of days. That will kill the bacteria. Remove from the freezer and treat with Obenauf's HD Leather Protector.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Put the glove in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a couple of days. That will kill the bacteria. Remove from the freezer and treat with Obenauf's HD Leather Protector.

^^^^This, or you can also use Jobsite Beeswax. Which ever one is easier to find, both are beeswax base (pretty sure Obenauf's is also) and will seal out sweat & odors. I know Jobsite works great after cleaning and conditioning a glove.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have to wonder what she is doing with her glove after her day is done. If you take anything sweaty and put it in the deep reaches of a bat bag and let it ferment in a hot car trunk for a couple of days it is going to stink. If she is not doing so maybe take it out and let it breathe.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
We tried freezing, febreze, lysol, odor eater powder. . . Nothing worked. Decided dd must sweat toxic fumes.

DH finally grabbed some of those sneaker balls at Walmart. We sprayed everything with apple cider vinegar, let it dry, then threw those balls in her bag, in her cleats, and inside her glove. Let them all air out.

Didn't take the odors entirely away, but at least we don't have to duct tape the glove to the roof of the car now - and it really did wonders for her bat bag and cleats. Ziploc bags for travel are a must. Dd is such a sweet kid, with such a smelly problem! 😂 Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06