Travel Ball Coach took Head coach job Division 2 school - NCAA Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2011
Just wondering if anyone knows the NCAA rule. Our 18u travel ball head coach took a head coach position at a local Division 2 school. Does that affect her status as a travel ball coach? All girls on team are HS age so I assume there may be a conflict somewhere. Frankly, the head coach thinks its ok but really isn't sure. I know there are dead periods. Anyone have any insight into this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 7, 2011
Found it.

13.11.2.4 Local Sports Clubs. In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved as a participant or in instructional or coaching activities in the same sport for a local sports club or organization lo- cated in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activi- ties are legal residents of the area (within a 100-mile radius of the institution). Further, in club teams involving multiple teams or multiple sports, the 100-mile radius is applicable only to the team with which the institution’s coach is involved; however, it is not permissible for the coach to assign a prospective student-athlete who lives outside the 100-mile area to another coach of the club. A coach may be involved with a local sports club located in the institution’s home community that includes prospective student-athletes participating in a sport other than the coach’s sport, regardless of where such prospective student-athletes reside. A coach also may be involved in activities with individuals who are not of prospective student-athlete age (i.e., before the ninth grade), regard- less of where such individuals reside. (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/16/93, 1/14/02, 1/9/06)

13.11.2.4.1 Institutional Sponsorship of Local Sports Club. Neither an institution’s athletics de- partment nor an institution’s athletics booster group may sponsor a local sports club that includes prospec- tive student-athletes. It is permissible for a department of the institution that operates independent of the athletics department (e.g., physical education department, recreation department) to sponsor a local sports club that includes prospective student-athletes, provided no athletics department staff member is involved with the club team. (Adopted: 1/16/93, Revised: 1/11/94)

13.11.2.5 Sports Camps and Clinics. An institution’s coach may be employed in sports camps, coaching schools and clinics per Bylaw 13.12 without violating the tryout rule.

Oct 7, 2011
They can do it with some limitations, at least that is what I recall for D1. Go to NCAA site and read the guides.

NCAA Publications - 2013-2014 NCAA Division II Manual

Will read it through later.

But here is what I found for D1. D2 might be the same with a larger radius.

Bylaw 13.11.2.3 – Local Sports Clubs.
In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in the same sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution). In all sports, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in a sport other than the coach’s sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution). Further, in club teams involving multiple teams or multiple sports, the 50-mile radius is applicable only to the team with which the institution’s coach is involved; however, it is not permissible for the coach to assign a prospective student-athlete who lives outside the 50-mile area to another coach of the club. A coach also may be involved in activities with individuals who are not of a prospective student-athlete age, regardless of where such individuals reside. (In women’s volleyball, see Bylaw 13.1.7.12 for regulations relating to a coach’s involvement with a local sports club and the permissible number of evaluation days.)

oops. just realized you found it also. thanks. Mine was from the D2 manual. Its a 100 mile radius.

Jul 26, 2010
There are certification and training courses available to NCAA coaches that cover this in detail. My suggestion is that the coach in question attend and complete the process.

-W

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Heather Tarr is doing this right now with her Team Seattle. The catch is that you have to be a freshman in high school or younger.

Any link to more info on this team? I found a 16U team coached by Shawna Wright and Taylor Smith, but I didn't find any younger teams. The area is littered with for UW players coaching, but I hadn't hear coach Tarr had a team.

Jul 2, 2013
The key to taking on a position by the original poster is to make sure to know and fully understand the exact rules.

Then work around them to not get yourself in trouble.

There are two (2) ways I have seen as most common, though this refers to HS play.

1. Stop being the travel ball coach of record. Very easy to do, just declare an assistant coach the HC and remove yourself from the travel coaching roster. This does not mean your are not the HC in every sense of the word. You are just not the HC, or a coach of record.

2. In high school it is not uncommon for a terrific, respected, usually older HC, to not be the actual HC of record, ie not get paid. This title goes to a young teacher who qualifies and gets paid. Though the teacher is declared the HC, everyone knows, especially the players, who the real head coach is ... and it is not the teacher (the teacher does the interviews).

After reading some of the rules stated above, and watching how other college coaches do it, the 50 mile radius rule is the key for college. Our local college coach is associated with the local travel team. He lends his name to it, and occasionally coaches it. As his influence brings in players. All the players on the travel team live within a 50 mile radius.

KNOW THE RULES.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Heather Tarr is doing this right now with her Team Seattle. The catch is that you have to be a freshman in high school or younger.
That's only if players are outside the radius.
Yes and no - the radius applies to all players that have started 9th grade classes per NCAA's definition of prospective student-athlete.

I don't know whether she's doing it again this year. There was some speculation when she started it last year that the TB team provided some relief from the limit on evaluation days and would also cover some of her travel expenses.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Yes and no - the radius applies to all players that have started 9th grade classes per NCAA's definition of prospective student-athlete.

I don't know whether she's doing it again this year. There was some speculation when she started it last year that the TB team provided some relief from the limit on evaluation days and would also cover some of her travel expenses.

They are doing it again this year.

Mar 26, 2013
You did not understand me Socal on the radius (a simple thing). Yes you can coach if all the kids are within 50 or 100 miles respectively, or if they are younger than HS age, how hard is this to get?
Relax, I simply clarified that freshmen cannot be outside the radius, only the younger players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad