Travel Ball Coach took Head coach job Division 2 school - NCAA Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Did they assemble another 14U team?
Yes. They lost 4-5 key players. They still have their top pitcher. I haven't heard much about them lately.
I saw a few posts about last year's team and got the impression they don't play a lot - rarely local and players were picking up games with other teams to fill the gaps.

Staying at the 14U level supports the speculation she is doing it to help her recruiting because she recruits 'em young and typically from elite orgs that frequent the events that team attends.

Jul 2, 2013
SC your ideas about puppet coaching by a college coach are unethical and could ruin this sort of thing. The college rules imply this is not allowed. In my state puppet coaching is expressly prohibited in HS.

I clearly stated my example was for high school.

I enjoy others introducing words not remotely said initially, like "puppet".

It is quite common for high schools to offer a head coaching job to a relatively inexperienced teacher in order to fill the job. Then add to that coaching roster the most qualified assistant coach who has decades of experience in coaching travel, or other, who is not being paid.

I am almost certain this happens in every state, including CA.

In travel there are HS coaches who become individual coaches for a small sub-set of players. They know the rules, and do not break them. They also put themselves in a position to be the personal coaches for these players and show up on the sidelines to give their players the individual attention their players may need to advance their skills.

You choose to imply a derogatory term. I do not. I look at it as extremely dedicated coaches, who follow every single rule, and go above and beyond to help young ladies find their way in life.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
My player is an advanced player who loves high school softball. Travel ball, not so much, and it has cost her plenty of the advanced D1 opportunities.

Her high school coach is her coach, period. He knows her personality and has the ability to elevate her play like no other. DD plays a limited travel softball schedule, strictly coordinated by this coach. I consider him a great, great man because of what he has done, and continues to do for my DD on HIS time.

Even with this set-up, DD continues to get e-mail offers from low D1 and D2 schools.

It is softball, and because of the guidance of many coaches just like him, she is living her life on her terms, and she is very well respected by many, many people in and out of softball in her community.

This deal is a two-way street. A few weeks ago during the last home football game, the same coach asked any and all the softball players to help sell raffle tickets in the stands. My DD was the only one to volunteer, along with her best softball pitcher friend. The two of them worked the whole home crowd, and came back and gave coach $200 for their efforts. I was most proud. Folks need to take softball for what it is, and always take time to smell the roses, for it will be over sooner, rather than later.

Her future will be decided by her. I am proud, and very thankful of the many coaches who have taken it upon themselves to advance her play, and life lessons in general toward adulthood.

The beauty of softball, both HS and travel, is the opportunity to structure your play to suit best.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207