Top Infielder Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2011
Santa's coming..what is considered the top fastpitch glove for middle infielders high school/college age? Any idea on preferred sizes? Like a good bat, its better to purchase just once.

Jul 26, 2010
First, try to get her to understand how to break in an infielder glove, and that it should be kept open and wide. They need to know how to field with their palm and their throwing hand, not the pocket. A lot of kids running around with expensive gloves folded up like a book, fielding the ball in the pocket. Once she learns that, get her the glove she wants, that's the better one ;) We are talking about young ladies here, what they want is better then what we think is better. Mizuno, Wilson, Nakona, and TPS all have comparable products in their top of the line categories.

-W

Dec 7, 2011
For a year now DD has an A2K from Wilson and I think DD will never wonder or want for a glove again.

Not saying I know all the detailed comparisons - just speaking to the absolute satisfaction DD has.

This one was costly but we got it for 50% off - (previous gloves we bought were $50-$80 full price,.... in reference to the step-up we made)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Santa's coming..what is considered the top fastpitch glove for middle infielders high school/college age? Any idea on preferred sizes? Like a good bat, its better to purchase just once.

Get the one which is comfortable and made of leather by a reliable company. Anything else is a waste of money.

stv

May 12, 2010
I went on a glove hunt earlier this year. When I (to my surprise) learned that I didnt really know about gloves. What the best coaches and best players tend to want for middle infield is. Get the ball out asap... That means a smaller glove and keep it open. Generally no larger than a 12" unless for outfield. I like you, wanted the best for my DD. Why not she uses it more than anything other than cleats.

What I found out was some of the High end gloves are heavy and stiff as a board. ( I know you have to break them in ect). But my DD 12 no way would want to start to break in a New Nakona or Insignia just to stiff and heavy (she is also a pitcher).
We played a few games on a college field there were some college players around, so I asked them what they were using. A girl brought out a Akadema ATS 77: 12.5" Reptilian which I and my DD liked, except I felt it was still to big for a middle infielder (from what I learned).
She, was used to playing with a small glove until dad decided to get her what he thought was a quality big girls glove which was 13" not to mention loading it with oil and parking cars on it.....
So
What we wound up with is a Mizuno Classic GCF1175 Fastpitch Softball Glove which I used Vaseline to help break in. No hand but hers has been in it. We used it at pitching practice until game ready. She used it for TB fall season and loves it. Its broke in where she can open and close it, but yet will stay open.
She is on her softball break now. The glove is in my office in the open position ready for when she starts back.
That's my glove journey. Good luck.

p.s. The college girl that had that glove, it was new and she was breaking it in.
She also had her old glove. The reason she was replacing was because it was starting to get to soft and floppy. To the average person it probably would look fine.

Dec 3, 2008
This was my go-to glove for my four years playing middle infield in college: Easton EPG 10B Ball Glove - 12" Easton Professional Series It's a baseball glove, and I recommend looking beyond softball-specific gloves when trying to find the best glove for your daughter. This Easton glove was hard as a rock when I got it and it took some serious break-in time. It was worth it. I also second the Wilson A2K series. Also a really good glove.

Feb 9, 2011
My DD plays short alot and uses a 12.5 with no problems at all versus the 12" glove. Think it is more of what they get use to. Local D2 college SS plays with a 13" glove and has no issues tried to go to a 12" and kept missing the ball cause she wasn't use to it.

As far as brand gloves, I like lower end eastons if you want a one and done, DD plays with Vinci gloves light weight and stiff as a board when you get them takes about 2 months to break them in with heavy use but can't beat the quality IMO. I also just picked up a shoeless joe glove and really like it, broken in the day you pull it out of the bag old school look.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I like Vinci, a lot. You would need to know if she wants an open back, closed back and what kind of webbing in the pocket. The pocket makes all of the difference between gloves. I like the one that is like an #, others prefer the trapper, and others the basket weave.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am the first one to enjoy quality equipment. BUT!!!! When it comes to gloves, I believe buying beyond a medium priced (50-70) leather
glove is useless. Well unless you want your great great grand children to hand it down to their children. I got a new rawlings when I was 15. Played 3 years hs bb, 2 years college bb, 5 years adult bb, and 7 years men's fastpitch at ss and 3rd. The $50 glove was still in playable condition last year. Then we had a block party that ended in rain and ended my glove.

Now I need another infielders glove (been playing with a catchers mitt), watching mlb I havent seen anyone playing with a glove that cost much more than $100. Everyone has a rawlings, wilson, nike, and etc.
So as big a fan of the newest, greatest in bats, I believe spending over $70 for a glove is like buying a missle launcher to kill a squirrel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red