top hand role/duty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
I’m not sure I am following you??

All I am saying is that the snap has to be as sudden as possible in reference to your comment abt Rich overcooking the snap back. The barrel will never reach the ground because your rear leg is turning it forward.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you have hitters that hit the ball too far out front, then you need to do something to help them get up to speed and “get behind the ball”. Many young kids, and even some coaches, attempt to get the barrel up to speed down the length of their arms. When TM speaks of a 3-to-9 O’clock swing objective, this is what I imagine … someone attempting to get up to speed down the length of their arms … they are ‘out front’ … they are ‘beside the ball instead of behind the ball’. They will struggle fiercely at the higher levels of the game … and will struggle on outside pitches at even a moderate level. If you are someone that is traveling around the country to play ball, then you understand the importance of driving the outside pitch to opposite field. Bat speed should first be generated through the creation of rotational energy (torso engine) and then the hands … and for many, with the correct tension level, the feel is of both engines firing simultaneously. Failure to develop bat speed early … what I picture TM meant by his 12-O’clock reference, will have you relying on your arms and resorting to having the need to develop barrel speed down the length of your arms … which again is what I think of with TM’s reference to 3-to-9 O’clock.

Get behind the ball ….

Alex-Pujols-Walk-Of-Homer-Contact-L.jpg

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Albert preaches top-hand/bottom-hand door knuckle alignment.

Yup, that's a golf grip. It gives him that extreme right wrist extension when he's in the ready/launch position. Any serious golfer would recognize that "V" between his thumb and index finger at contact. He is the only hitter I've seen with that grip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles