Which side??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
Ok, daughter is left handed, but she tends to naturally want to swing righty. So, been having her switch hit for her first year of tee ball. Which side looks smoothest? Keep switch hitting or let her focus on her more natural (to her) right handed? She's been working on firm front side and strong rotation of her hips and back leg. Along with weight transfer to limit on the back foot. Still working on TTB and her core sequence.

You can see in the third photo that when she demonstrates to another player about her hand placement and working on getting a good stretch at toe touch while keeping her scap back and loaded while keeping her hands in front of her elbows to limit bat drag, that she goes with the righty swing naturally.
1598810291691.png 1598810335164.png

1598810614783.png

;) Ok, so if you're down here still reading...hopefully you caught on that I'm just BS-ing and joking with ya with a bunch of hitting "lingo" that we hear all the time on message boards and youtube and clinics.

Truth = yes, this is my youngest (Alexis) back when she was 5 playing 6u tee ball for first time. She's 12 now. And yes, she is a lefty and I did start her switch hitting, and we did it for first 3 seasons and into 8u. But, she was much more successful as a righty and wanted to only do that, so I stopped having her switch hit. Sometimes, I look back and wonder....what if I had kept her going or maybe focused only on lefty. But, she's not exactly speedy, so I figure if she's more comfortable righty with much more coordination righty then probably for the best. :p

LNGS Illusion Game 02-29-2020-89.jpg

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Good one. I started reading this and almost went to get some popcorn to watch the comments unfold....well played.

Although I believer her shoe is untied....;)

Mar 6, 2016
Good one. I started reading this and almost went to get some popcorn to watch the comments unfold....well played.

Although I believer her shoe is untied....;)

Well she is a lefty just like her Pops and us lefties always seem to have something untied or loose or outta whack somehow. Thats what makes us lefties better than the righties! 😜

May 23, 2015
Well she is a lefty just like her Pops and us lefties always seem to have something untied or loose or outta whack somehow. Thats what makes us lefties better than the righties! 😜
Yall are all weird. You wear your glove on the wrong hand. Nice work dad

Mar 26, 2017
Interesting. I have an 11YO pitcher. She is lefty for all small motor stuff and right for all gross motor movements. So she pitches, hits, shoots a basketball righty, and eats, drinks, writes, etc. with her left. When she first started softball at 5, we had a lefty glove and she looked real awkward. We gave her a righty glove and she's taken off from there. I now have a 4 year old that is exhibiting the same thing. So I'm kind of torn if I should allow her to do what feels natural, or try to keep lefty.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting. I have an 11YO pitcher. She is lefty for all small motor stuff and right for all gross motor movements. So she pitches, hits, shoots a basketball righty, and eats, drinks, writes, etc. with her left.
My 5YO DS is the same. Interestingly enough he likes to mess around hitting lefty and for somebody who only takes 5 or 6 swings every time he does it, his lefty swing is pretty good.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Interesting. I have an 11YO pitcher. She is lefty for all small motor stuff and right for all gross motor movements. So she pitches, hits, shoots a basketball righty, and eats, drinks, writes, etc. with her left. When she first started softball at 5, we had a lefty glove and she looked real awkward. We gave her a righty glove and she's taken off from there. I now have a 4 year old that is exhibiting the same thing. So I'm kind of torn if I should allow her to do what feels natural, or try to keep lefty.
OUR DS was/is a left. He writes, hits, golfs left. BUT he throws RH. Not sure how that worked out. We think that when he started throwing at about 2 he had a RT glove from his grandma. He wouldn't take that thing off so he just developed throwing right. Turned out to be a good combination even if it was "accidental" We let him go with what felt natural.