Tips for Tryout Season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Ideally, you would have attended a few tournaments as a spectator and observed the teams you selected to tryout for to see how the players and coaches behave and perform in a real enviornment (tryouts are contrived and coaches on their best behavior). This is when you (or rather your daughter) would have picked the teams she wanted to play for and prioritize them.

-W

Mar 5, 2010
I was thinking more of questions like.... How many retuning players, what positions are up for grabs. Questions to get a feel on how best to compare teams in relations to finding the best fit.

Apr 1, 2010
Lets flip the coin on who's asking the questions. For the girls that do receive offers from teams. What are some questions the parents and player should ask? Not just the basic ones like... cost or practice times and location. Questions that will help to better compare teams. Thanks

I want to know if they're going to practice during the winter. It might be a moot point for some areas, but it gets cold here and a team will have to rent an indoor practice location if they're serious about keeping skills up during the winter. I would want to know their roster size, but that's usually something the coach volunteers. I want to know how many girls he/she has who play my daughter's position. (--Happens to be catcher. I don't want her to be the only catcher. I also don't want to hear that they already have two or more. Sharing the position with one other girl seems to be the sweet spot, but the other non-pitching positions are probably quite different.) I want to know roughly how many tournaments they're going to play and how many will be out of town. What kind of fundraisers do they do?

Dec 4, 2010
What is wrong with asking if you get to know where the money goes? And you do need to know if the team is a not for profit, so you could get some donations.

You could ask other parents if they know how the money is being spent. I just see too many families that are quitting jobs in order to run a softball league. They are paying themselves.

I totally agree with Amy, ask!! I know of organization that have a rostor of 18-20 and all the do is collect non-refundable start up and Monthly fees and the 6 or 8 that rarely play are revolving door to collect more money from new players that quit. Its how they pay there coaches. Not all teams are like this but unless you ask for documentation you'll never know.
Know what the money goes to!!!

Dec 11, 2010
Dumb question I know...

So if tryout starts at 5, I assume that means at field and warmed up by 5, right?

Jun 21, 2010
So if tryout starts at 5, I assume that means at field and warmed up by 5, right?

DD and I always show up early for practice or games. Coach says 5, we show up at 4:30. It's our time to play catch and warm up her arm. I see no difference for a tryout. In fact, today is tryouts for a local TB team. Hoping all goes well.

Some good suggestions in this thread.

Nov 1, 2009
We have gone to primarily private workouts by invitation but the advice here is right on. I would rather have a girl with a great attitude that needs a little coaching than a superstar with a little attitude. If you daughter is the one trying out make sure she has fun and that starts with the conversation on the way to the workout. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi