Time for a reality check on IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
BUT I will fight to be the first in line to pat BM on the back if this "IR teaching method" is in fact what has been the "connection point" for a PC to best translate the need for a young pitcher to graduate from bowling to whipping. I tend to believe (from the masses of disciples here to IR) that this IR interpretation method of whip has been very successful in graduating these young pitchers.

So assuming this IR teaching method IS having this much overall success on the masses => pat-pat-pat "way to go BM!"

OMG FINALLY!........Thx RB.......Now I can "rest in peace"..........:p

Oh wait........That has nothing to do with why I started, and continue to advocate for INCLUDING I/R training and/or reinforcement in ALL teaching methods........

Lastly........I never ask for praise.......I'm not a needy person........I'm more of a "giver" then a "taker".......And I never accuse anyone of "bashing me"........EVEN WHEN THEY DO.........:rolleyes:

Dec 16, 2010
That might a good title for another thread: What are the criteria that define "true pitching expert?"

Don't know if you meant this tongue-in-cheek but I hope we don't take up this subject.

I think each of us novices are responsible for assessing the advice offered here. No matter how clueless about pitching I am, I can apply the Hanson Principle, video my kid to see if she does what I want her to do, and see if the advice actually helps.

You can give great advice even if you don't consider yourself an expert. I couldn't possibly list everyone here who has helped me over the years (even before I joined DFP) and I don't see how debating what traits make someone an expert and who may/may not have those traits is going help most of us make our dds better.

Jul 14, 2008
Bill Hillhouse uses the term "elbow snap" to facilitate to his students the same pitching fundamentals that BM does. They both just use different terminology to convey the same message. BM's IR and Hillhouse's elbow snap are the SAME to me. That is how I understand it, and i'm sure that is how alot of others on this board interpret these terms.

Ok so I'll lay out why I've asked BH to explain the mechanics of "elbow snap" to the board, including myself, on more then one occasion........

The term is used often here both by BH and "his" students.........You will not find ANYONE ELSE HERE that uses the term "elbow snap" outside of BH and his students........

It is NOT a term that is easily definable.......Any more then INternal Rotation was when I first introduced it.......It required one HECK of a lot of explanation in order to understand the term.........

However.....It is a HUGE part of the pitching motion in terms of high level delivery........And has opened the eyes, and helped TONS of people improve their knowledge and understanding of how to throw a ball underhand.......

I have a pretty good reputation of knowing what the heck I'm talking about when it comes to teaching the fastpitch motion........Which I ONLY SAY as a prelude to the following:

BH's reputation of knowing what the heck he's talking about when it comes the fastpitch motion is 10,000 or more times greater then mine........SO WHEN HE SAYS ELBOW SNAP is a vital part of his teaching........I........AND MANY OTHERS........Want to know what the heck that is.........BECAUSE IT'S PROBABLY REALLY IMPORTANT...........

Left to generic language, elbow snap could mean:

1.) Snap the elbow from bent to straight.........

2.) Snap the elbow from straight to bent.......

3.) Snap the elbow AROUND from backward to forward.......

4.) Snap the elbow AROUND from forward to backward.......

5.) Who knows what else.........

So the reason I continue to ask what Elbow Snap is, is so that I/WE are not missing a part of the motion that might AS important, if not MORE important then I/R..........Coming from someone like BH who is VERY IMPORTANT to the development of the pitching motion......I/WE want to know!

Does what make it more clear?

Jul 26, 2010
Please don't let this turn into the hitting forum where a bunch of fat old guys sit around debating the meaning of words and golfing anecdotes whilst kids with bats run away screaming for someone to help them hit the freaking ball.

-W

Jan 3, 2014
BM and BH on IR/Snap/Whip remind me of Vic Braden in the Book “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell. Maybe this will help put some perspective on the insight of these two great minds. Not to forget world class athlete BH.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06