Time for a reality check on IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Having been around the sport awhile, the concept of whip is simple. It is only when non-players started descending on coaching the sport that it ended up being misunderstood. Bowling was something that non-players could get. And video seemed to entrench sides. It also seemed to me that current coaches in the sport buckled into the bowling thing because they had not thought about it to any detail and felt overmatched in the discussion and worried about being out of date, because they could not verbalize it. Back then, people were just softball players, not kinesiologists.

Prior to that whip was understood from a young age to be the same as it is in any sport. You kick a ball, you throw a football, you lasso a cow,even, or you hit a golf ball. We even had an underhand basketball shot. I don't think teaching a kid by kinesiology is effective, but it may be for adults talking about it. Kids used to learn by mimicking. Explanation can get in the way of performing a skill. I would not want to say to myself, "oh I need to make sure my scapula is abducting while I throw instead of my bicep." FYI: I have no idea what the scapula is or what abducting is; I just made that up. However, I can still throw a bullet to home plate, although it may have a bounce in it now....

That is why I am not a fan of all these 52 weeks a year personal lessons. Just go out on the field and do it when you are 10, I say.

I understand the disconnect now. You are advocating that kids be kids and just play this game for fun which is fine. I see the other side of the sport where kids take it more seriously and it's very competitive even at the younger ages (e.g. 8u). The kids that want to play at a higher level will be left behind if they don't continually improve. In general, most members of this site have kids or work with kids that are competitive players. For them, it's critical that they understand the nuances of the sport including optimizing mechanics to make the player better. I can guarantee you that if the competitive player followed your advice they would NOT be competitive players for long.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Photo of Mackenzie Popescue from ASU. What pitch is this? So far this year she is (8-0) 0.62 ERA View attachment 5297

At this point, it would be really tough to guess the pitch. Just a few degrees farther in the circle and the elbow can be pointed down and the palm up:
http://binaryapi.ap.org/9c3db7a84164410fa1fe438332a197cf/940x.jpg
http://www.gohuskies.com/pics33/800/HZ/HZOVVUXTJBOYOJX.20130530183613.jpg

This position is, IMO, where the arm circle transitions into the whip.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Having been around the sport awhile, the concept of whip is simple. It is only when non-players started descending on coaching the sport that it ended up being misunderstood. Bowling was something that non-players could get. And video seemed to entrench sides. It also seemed to me that current coaches in the sport buckled into the bowling thing because they had not thought about it to any detail and felt overmatched in the discussion and worried about being out of date, because they could not verbalize it. Back then, people were just softball players, not kinesiologists.

Prior to that whip was understood from a young age to be the same as it is in any sport. You kick a ball, you throw a football, you lasso a cow,even, or you hit a golf ball. We even had an underhand basketball shot. I don't think teaching a kid by kinesiology is effective, but it may be for adults talking about it. Kids used to learn by mimicking. Explanation can get in the way of performing a skill. I would not want to say to myself, "oh I need to make sure my scapula is abducting while I throw instead of my bicep." FYI: I have no idea what the scapula is or what abducting is; I just made that up. However, I can still throw a bullet to home plate, although it may have a bounce in it now....

That is why I am not a fan of all these 52 weeks a year personal lessons. Just go out on the field and do it when you are 10, I say.

And if we give elementary school kids copies of the literary classics, they will learn to read and write on their own.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

There is one topic that we all discuss quite a bit that lends support to OILFs POV. There are so many coaches out there teaching the wrong stuff yet they produce good pitchers/hitters etc. That would imply that the girls, to a large extent, often develop the right way to pitch/throw/hit etc. despite the coaching as a result of just putting in a lot of time and playing.

I am by no means advocating the concept that you just leave them alone and they will blossom into great athletes, just pointing out a connection. There is no substitute for great instruction and I fully believe that players develop better and quicker with good consistent instruction, but a lot of girls seem to get pretty good in spite of some pretty bad instruction also.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Finding the balance of instruction and structure is important. Kids with drill sgt parents and coaches can't step onto the field or court without being told what to do. Coaches and parents who guide, teach and empower, in a fun and challenging setting, will foster better, happier athletes and human beings.

(howz that fer krappy sentunse strukter?)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Rick,
I'm not sure which I can't wait for more:

-WCWS or
-You being able to talk freely about your pitchers!

Dang rules!

(BTW, love your one-two-three with Miller, Shubert and Alexander!)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1