Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
244s329.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Progress

Maybe... I think her ankle might have been hurting, no I wouldn't have shot under them condition's. I think she was wanting me to hurry up so she could go shopping with DW... I forget ??? I updated the .gif to include the pertinent info that FFS was placing emphasis on. She has a therapists, but thanks for your output. I'm just glad FFS didn't ignore me, like he said. If we stay in context, we might even get OP to respond. I'm taking notes, and hoping to contribute...I know your just learning... but would love to see your progress :cool:

PC I promised DD I wouldn't post video of her but I'll pm you one from summer when I get a chance. She lets me send it to Austin and a few others regarding hitting. She's a lot older than your DD so you're lucky you have an earlier start than we did. We have seen a 5mph gain this year doing Austin's drills and hard core training! Your DD will be awesome with all the hard work!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We have seen a 5mph gain this year doing Austin's drills and hard core training! Your DD will be awesome with all the hard work!
Thx... Wow look at all the awesome throwing FFS just posted... Which one do you like best ??? Maybe your top 3... :cool:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Great stuff, thanks! ...

Did a lot of reading over the weekend on throwing, especially Austin Wasserman's book, and these videos illustrate a couple of things that I'm beginning to understand.

One is the scap load that takes place. Notice how far the throwing elbow gets behind the back. Also notice how the throwing arm doesn't reach the L position until the thrower is facing or nearly facing the target. My DD has some shoulder trouble, and I suspect that it comes from being taught L drills (by none other than me, who was taught by other well-meaning coaches). My DD gets into the L position when sideways to the target rather than keeping hand (and ball) closer to the head during that phase and then letting the arm 'unhinge' as hips and trunk rotate.

Any thoughts on that? I'm just beginning to understand throwing motions. About to embark on a 10-week throwing program (and unfortunately rehab program) for DD in the off-season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30