Throwing issues! Please help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have always had the problem of throwing 'side arm' and turning my body. My school team is one of the best in the state, and even made it to the state championship, but we lost by one run. Anyway, the coach is very good and taught me how to fix it. Well I fixed it, and was throwing 'over the top' all the way until October. Then there was Thanksgiving break for a week and I got the flu that is going around. And then I got it again two more times. Because of this I didn't practice and my arm went back to throwing side arm. Now I can't even throw from second base to first when at the end of school ball season, I could throw from center field to home! no matter how many people tell me to throw over the top, I still don't do it. Any suggestions on how to train my arm back into shape? It's like 30 degrees out so my parents won't go outside not to mention me! :) We do however have a heater in our two car garage so we go out there and hit into our net. But because the garage has a window, my dad won't let me throw and actual softball in there.... So now that I have probably limited my options... what can I do? I want to fix my arm again badly but how? Thanks, softballplayer1999

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Throw chest up against a wall with the goal of throwing straight down the wall without actually touching it. You wont be able to drop down or throw side arm with out whacking yourself on the wall.

And a couple of balled up socks work as well as a ball and wont damage anything. Or even a nice wiffle ball.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
HUH? Can you explain to me again?
QUOTE=marriard;149390]Throw chest up against a wall with the goal of throwing straight down the wall without actually touching it. You wont be able to drop down or throw side arm with out whacking yourself on the wall.

And a couple of balled up socks work as well as a ball and wont damage anything. Or even a nice wiffle ball.[/QUOTE]

Oct 25, 2009
HUH? Can you explain to me again?
QUOTE=marriard;149390]Throw chest up against a wall with the goal of throwing straight down the wall without actually touching it. You wont be able to drop down or throw side arm with out whacking yourself on the wall.

And a couple of balled up socks work as well as a ball and wont damage anything. Or even a nice wiffle ball.
[/QUOTE]

Stand close, facing a flat wall and throw parallel to the wall, down the length of the wall. That will keep your throwing arm from flying out. The flat wall will keep the arm from getting hung up on something.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Your muscle memory has taken over and with taking time off because of the flu your arm has lost some muscle. Keep throwing the way your coach taught you. Stop making excuses and act like the kind of player you want to be! Throw foam balls or balled up socks in your garage over and over again until your new muscle memory is the correct way. Remember, practice makes permanent, not perfect. So do your best to practice as perfectly as possible every time. Also, check on getting a jugs pop up net or bow net (around $130) and practice throwing/hitting real balls inside.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
You might also try throwing a ball of socks at a mirror (or window) so you can see the path your hand takes.
Make sure to set up perfectly every time.

Throwing

Throw chest up against a wall with the goal of throwing straight down the wall without actually touching it. You wont be able to drop down or throw side arm with out whacking yourself on the wall.

You could throw in the garage if your Dad hooks up a 5x5 piece of carpet to the beams using rope to hold it.The one knee drill would work by throwing into the carpet making sure that you point glove hand at target then bend glove elbow to shoulder.put the ball right below your right knee,pick it up around ,elbow high and let it fly!Got it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad