Thoughts on throwing the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
That is a hell of a lot of rotation...LOL!!
As a note here , when i mention the broken garage window, on a normal field it would have been heading to the bleachers behind 3rd base. So yeah, there is a tendency to pull and turn over. I think we are better now. haha

Jun 8, 2016
As a note here , when i mention the broken garage window, on a normal field it would have been heading to the bleachers behind 3rd base. So yeah, there is a tendency to pull and turn over. I think we are better now. haha
(y)

I don't think I ever threw one into the bleachers but I could have blanked that memory out :p

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
There should be a gif floating around on DFP of Swingbuilder(?) throwing the bat into a net indoors as a means of showing direction in the swing, which is often the intent of the "throw the bat" drills.

Tewksbury also has a video on turning the barrel, showing how little movement is really needed to generate a swing - it's basically drop the elbow, turn the torso, and let the bat swivel. (aka the barrel gets thrown).

I demo this move a lot - especially when I'm trying to show kids how little the hands need to move in relation to the shoulder, and how it's the tilt / hinge that lets them adjust high/low. The more you get correct early in the sequence, the less you have to correct later in the swing.
Can you post a link of the Tewks video? thanks in advance.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
If you steer clear of the phrase, what do you use instead? Or do you not see a purpose to the cue? Meaning, I have the opinion that my DD was too rotational and pulled the hands around the body. So we wanted to work on extension. Which led me to the concept of 'throw the barrel', which led me to trying to teach the 'feel' with tee work, then led me to the actual drill 'throwing the barrel, with led me to a broken garage window........ um its why i ask, because i had no clue what i was looking for in the drill.....or cue if you are not literally doing the 'throw the barrel' drill. So when i did the drill i didn't know what i was looking for. IMO its a cue for getting the barrel to release, or whip, or extension or whatever term you want. Attached video is what probably started me down that path. Dr YEager.

This concept, then led me to working on her 'not spinning off the ball' so i looked into the rotations and hips, torso , shoulders etc. Alot of stuff going on at once that i could never just get my head around until i broke out each piece separately. Still struggling to get her where she needs to be, but this 'concept' helped me alot help my DD.

I usually describe it this way

1. Turn the barrel into the path of the ball in the back...not out front.
2. use your core, shoulders, and hands to turn the barrel into the path of the pitch
3. Your barrel should look like a NIKE swoosh...turning into the path in the back and going through the path of the pitch
4. As you turn your core the hands should be turning to a palm up/palm down position. remember small circles are fast...long circles are slow.

That's about what I say

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I usually describe it this way

1. Turn the barrel into the path of the ball in the back...not out front.
2. use your core, shoulders, and hands to turn the barrel into the path of the pitch
3. Your barrel should look like a NIKE swoosh...turning into the path in the back and going through the path of the pitch
4. As you turn your core the hands should be turning to a palm up/palm down position. remember small circles are fast...long circles are slow.

That's about what I say

And if they keep swinging around the body with a small circle how do you get the ‘release’ from the body?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
And if they keep swinging around the body with a small circle how do you get the ‘release’ from the body?

Maybe reverse chain from a tee. Start at the point of contact and then work back on the path. Explain at point of contact extending through the ball

ALSO

The double tee is a classic. The first tee at point of contact...Second tee slightly forward and slightly offset in the direction of an opposite-field hit. Swing through both tees and explain why.

ALSO

Video swing in slo-mo and show how she is different than a favorite elite college swing clip

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Maybe reverse chain from a tee. Start at the point of contact and then work back on the path. Explain at point of contact extending through the ball

ALSO

The double tee is a classic. The first tee at point of contact...Second tee slightly forward and slightly offset in the direction of an opposite-field hit. Swing through both tees and explain why.

ALSO

Video swing in slo-mo and show how she is different than a favorite elite college swing clip

Nice thank you. Have the slow mo on all the time. Instant feedback. I like the two tee drill idea. Gives another thru point which is good. I have struggled to give her instant feedback on pulling off. This will help. Thank you again.

Nov 18, 2015
Can you post a link of the Tewks video? thanks in advance.

At the :55 mark.

The movement is what I was remembering clearly. I may have been blurring video topics together in my head - he was talking more about palm up / palm down in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Yes - that was the video that made me pose the question, as I’ve heard conflicting thoughts on what it actually was teaching. (Push vs direction)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah....as you are well aware, if you are looking for consensus DFP isn't the place to look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12