Thoughts on throwing the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
And when Twitter gets too tame, I head over to BBD and go through old hitting threads. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

At the :55 mark.

The movement is what I was remembering clearly. I may have been blurring video topics together in my head - he was talking more about palm up / palm down in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the link. The part that I am missing is how the hands get released from the shoulder. He is showing the palm up palm down/ turn the barrel with torso turn. If the hands don’t release from the shoulder you are spinny and have a rotational swing. IMO. This is not throwing the barrel but is more of the start of the swing. I think the concept of turn the barrel and hit the ball deep is fine as long as you don’t miss the ‘whip’ /release of hands /throw the barrel. I see the deep barrel turn as more of the TM approach with less adjustability. And a throw the barrel as a more adjustable way of still turning the barrel deep if needed. Ie if late or throwing it later if filled by off speed. I guess I am just still trying to figure it all out.

It makes me try to relate to what *edit* Bonds said. Try to catch the ball with the barrel. It doesn’t seem like catching it if you make contact deep and jammed. If I watch Miggy he is smooth rhythmic and whipping the barrel. Or ‘throwing the barrel’ to contact to ‘catch the ball’.

In any case the cue to ‘throw the barrel’ to me is the thought to release and not just worry about TTB deep. If you TTB deep without release I think you have adjustability issues. IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1