Thoughts on throwing the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't care for the expression because how you create the corner to direct the throwing of the barrel is open to, too much interpretation. You can have bat drag and throw the barrel. You can have an all arm swing and throw the barrel.

That is why I steer clear of the phrase.
When throwing the barrel or the bat, player should be instructed to maintain a very small hand radius. Throw with your core.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I don't care for the expression because how you create the corner to direct the throwing of the barrel is open to, too much interpretation. You can have bat drag and throw the barrel. You can have an all arm swing and throw the barrel.

That is why I steer clear of the phrase.
If you steer clear of the phrase, what do you use instead? Or do you not see a purpose to the cue? Meaning, I have the opinion that my DD was too rotational and pulled the hands around the body. So we wanted to work on extension. Which led me to the concept of 'throw the barrel', which led me to trying to teach the 'feel' with tee work, then led me to the actual drill 'throwing the barrel, with led me to a broken garage window........ um its why i ask, because i had no clue what i was looking for in the drill.....or cue if you are not literally doing the 'throw the barrel' drill. So when i did the drill i didn't know what i was looking for. IMO its a cue for getting the barrel to release, or whip, or extension or whatever term you want. Attached video is what probably started me down that path. Dr YEager.

This concept, then led me to working on her 'not spinning off the ball' so i looked into the rotations and hips, torso , shoulders etc. Alot of stuff going on at once that i could never just get my head around until i broke out each piece separately. Still struggling to get her where she needs to be, but this 'concept' helped me alot help my DD.

Jul 31, 2019
I’m not sure if I’m interpreting this correctly but I on occasion will have a hitter hit off a tee, and as she works through contact release the bat from her hands. If done correctly, the bat travels in the direction the ball was hit. If not I’ve seen the bat in one case end up behind the hitter.

Jul 31, 2019
Let’s just say she had a tendency to roll the hands hard and over rotate when she first started....

Nov 18, 2015
You do not throw the barrel, Grasshopper, the barrel gets thrown. When you understand this, then you will be on your way.
There should be a gif floating around on DFP of Swingbuilder(?) throwing the bat into a net indoors as a means of showing direction in the swing, which is often the intent of the "throw the bat" drills.

Tewksbury also has a video on turning the barrel, showing how little movement is really needed to generate a swing - it's basically drop the elbow, turn the torso, and let the bat swivel. (aka the barrel gets thrown).

I demo this move a lot - especially when I'm trying to show kids how little the hands need to move in relation to the shoulder, and how it's the tilt / hinge that lets them adjust high/low. The more you get correct early in the sequence, the less you have to correct later in the swing.

Nov 18, 2015
I have the Line drive pro too.
Have you also used a "chuck-it"? When I saw the $30-40 price at Dick's for the Line Drive Pro, it made me wonder what I would be missing out on if I went with the $5 dog toy instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1