These HE PCs are killing me...killing me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Umm... You killed bugs? I never killed any bugs... or did the HE... ;)

I actually laugh when I think back about it. When I played little league, I was never "taught" how to hit. I was handed a bat, the coach would throw balls, and I would swing. That was it... When DD first started showing an interest, I started studying. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I started coaching. The books I read about hitting all suggested "squishing the bug". I did some practice swings and DID NOT squish the bug myself. I kept reading and decided that my own swing was flawed and what was in the books must be right. Oh well. Live and learn I guess.

Apr 7, 2012
This one hit me like a ton of bricks when I read it...good reminder for me...sometimes I need to back away myself and see what my squirt can do flying solo! Thanks JJ!

My DD is also the only one on her team who pitches with the arm whip, and I mentioned this before, but the HC said to me " I dont like that way of pitching"... I really hope that she gets to see the mound sometime.

Another side note about this... My DD and another girl that was learning to pitch on my team last year, both moved up to the next age group. She was debating on what "style" of pitching to use and I offered to work with her when I worked with my DD. Well her parents didnt know at the time, so I didnt work with her. She wasnt working with the pitchers and catchers for a while, and then when we came back, I heard that she was working with one of the girls dad from my team last year (who no longer plays with our team) who teaches HE.

I guess since her dad had been teaching HE longer than I have been working with I/R / arm whip with my DD they decided to go with him. I dont get it, is it almost like peer pressure that your DD should pitch like that?? I will not be changing my DD's style and I told her that just let her pitching do the talking and just keep doing what we are doing.

Jun 26, 2010
DD coach formed a team two years ago, first year they didn't win a game. He knew DD wanted to pitch and said she was welcome on the team and would get the opportunity to pitch. He has never messed with her and refers to me as her pitching coach. Last season team wins 11 games which was one short of goal. HC's DD pitches as well and HE. Twice she goes down with shoulder and neck pain.

HC comments to me that DD's pitching looks so effortless and she never gets tired. He knows why, I gave him a Hillhouse video to watch yet he still has his DD go to a HE coach. I do t get it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
is it almost like peer pressure that your DD should pitch like that?? I will not be changing my DD's style and I told her that just let her pitching do the talking and just keep doing what we are doing.

It is like peer pressure, or better yet, it is more just group think. It is just easier to go along with what the crowd does because you never stick out. The thing that kills me about this particular group think is that the evidence is so enormously overwhelming and readily available. All you have to do is watch any live pitch of any great pitcher in slo motion. Or as a Dad just try to throw underhand with anywhere near the velocity of a good 16 year old girl pitcher who is much lighter and much shorter and you will arrive at I/R. It's that lazy lack of effort and thought that pisses me off the most, how can a PC profess to teach girls to pitch and then sit and watch a line of his girls all pitching and not see that there is a visible pause between when they release and when they bend their elbow and have it raise the question that maybe, possibly, perhaps if the action occurs so long after the pitch is gone, maybe...just maybe it is entirely friggin useless. And if it is useless, then maybe...just maybe...their understanding of the arm motion should be rethought.

May 27, 2013
What I don't get is why do all these coaches even care what type of mechanics a girl uses to pitch??! As long as a pitcher is getting the job done and is not complaining of pain with her particular style, I'm going to let her pitch! On my team I don't mess with the other pitchers at all (they all go to the same PC - my dd is the only one who does not go to the same PC); I just tell them to do the warm-ups their coach has shown them and if they are struggling, I tell them to think about what their PC would tell them to do to make an adjustment. Even though I know I can offer some advice on what might work better - I am not their private PC; therefore, I do not offer advice unless they ask me first.

Nov 29, 2009
HC comments to me that DD's pitching looks so effortless and she never gets tired. He knows why, I gave him a Hillhouse video to watch yet he still has his DD go to a HE coach. I do t get it.

Fear of the unknown. The father is afraid his DD will fall behind after switching because of the learning curve. That is why.

Jun 13, 2009
What I don't get is why do all these coaches even care what type of mechanics a girl uses to pitch??! As long as a pitcher is getting the job done and is not complaining of pain with her particular style, I'm going to let her pitch! On my team I don't mess with the other pitchers at all (they all go to the same PC - my dd is the only one who does not go to the same PC); I just tell them to do the warm-ups their coach has shown them and if they are struggling, I tell them to think about what their PC would tell them to do to make an adjustment. Even though I know I can offer some advice on what might work better - I am not their private PC; therefore, I do not offer advice unless they ask me first.

It's not uncommon. A head coach SHOULD want a basic understanding of what mechanics are being used so he can offer help and advise in bad situations. If a coach has a pitcher who uses mechanics that looks as though she learned on Mars, how is he/she going to offer any help and coaching when she runs into trouble in the circle? Right or wrong, this is why a lot of coaches, clubs and organizations want to use the same instructor. This way the girls can move seamlessly through the ranks from one team to another where the coaches all understand what they've been taught.

My DD's coach makes a specific point of telling her to invite her coaches to her pitching lessons so they can see, ask questions, etc.

CG

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I always try and get a pitcher as my assistant so they work on the details in HS.

Of course having a pitcher as your assistant doesn't necessarily mean she will be good for all of the team pitchers. Nor does it mean that she will understand what all of the team pitchers have been taught by their own pitching coaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craig052