These HE PCs are killing me...killing me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My 11 YO DD has been pitching 3 years. She is a step pitcher so far, and first learned mechanics from a local JC PC who taught her I/R with brush. She since took lessons from several DI pitchers. Several of her HCs since have tried to play PC and adjust her mechanics with wrist snap warm-ups and HE finish (oh no, not again in this thread, right?). When I see it I politely tell the coach in private that is not what her PC has taught her. I got varied responses, from "she's not a pitcher" to "okay, sorry about that." So like Ken B suggested, I tend to smile and nod. Then I tell DD later to follow direction from her PC or she'll regress.

Excellent way to handle it! Hopefully her coaches can see beyond their own egos and let her be.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We'll see, if she does what she can do, then I am sure she will get enough innings, if she let's herself slip either mentally or mechanically then she will be fighting for innings against a coaches daughter and two girls with seniority on the team and she will get a lot less. As the surfer dude turtle says in FINDING NEMO.."let's see what squirt does flying solo"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We'll see, if she does what she can do, then I am sure she will get enough innings, if she let's herself slip either mentally or mechanically then she will be fighting for innings against a coaches daughter and two girls with seniority on the team and she will get a lot less. As the surfer dude turtle says in FINDING NEMO.."let's see what squirt does flying solo"

I really do wish you and your DD the best of luck with this! I typically don't get this fired up about a topic, but this one struck a nerve with me :) I know how much the two of you work...

Sep 10, 2013
That is BS!! Your daughter should not have to deal with something like that. I feel terrible for your DD and hopefully the same thing does not happen with JJ. I am the closest thing our team has to a PC. We have three IR pitchers and one HE pitcher. I do what I can to help all of them. And although I feel strongly that IR is the better method, I will not force the HE pitcher to change. Mound time will be determined by results and has nothing to do with their method of pitching.

oh, i do agree 1000%! and it was rough on DD, but those few times she was on the mound, she did great and if the coaches didn't see that, it's their loss, not DD's. at one point i was about to have her switch back to HE. oh, the horror that would have ensued!

stick to what you know is right and that's what i did, but be prepared for resistance and that's what we got.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
DD had her first pitching workout with her new team. The three other pitchers on the team work with the ORG PC and my DD is the lone wolf working with another PC. They all lined up did their thing and all the girls were throwing with I/R. My DD just didn't finish with the artificial HE tack on the other girls were using. So the PC tells the HC in a derogatory way that my DD pitches with her hand over the ball (because of the palm down finish she has) and that she must have been taught this way because it is not natural.

I have half a mind to video all of his students to show him that they are doing the same thing arm wise as my daughter despite his teaching but she just doesn't tack on anything at the end. I won't do it, but boy do I want to. My patience with this stupidity is getting pretty thin.

You gotta love the complete NONSENSE!

I have experienced a bit of this, and they do see it as the hand rolling over the ball. The problem is that they have absolutely no clue.

Just wait for the "she'll injure her shoulder" claim.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
... complimented her on her drop spin and movement, but said she needed to work on getting the hand behind the the ball to improve it...

Yup, they usually tell you that "she needs to get her hand behind the ball." It's the ole bowling approach for sure.

Sep 10, 2013
i looked back at DD's video from 2 years ago when DD was just starting to pitch. PC was teaching HE.
guess what? DD had a HARD time doing HE. she actually did not really IR, but the 'natural' release without the artificial HE. HE to her was an afterthought.

was that a sign? maybe, but 2 years ago i knew nothing about pitching either. now thanks to folks in this forum, i know better and the results are tangible.

stick to your guns but be diplomatic about it. just be ready that some PC's won't like it. their loss, not yours.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
The coach should only try and change something in a pitcher if it is causing health issues, poor performance, or in some other way is hurting the team (such as grunting). However, I can't stand certain things, like chewing gum, rushing all the time, not having 'mound presence,' and glove slapping, so those have to go, and I will change them. (I can't listen to 100 or more glove slaps every practice, but it comes under health issues anyway with the red leg.)

HE comes under health issues, so I will change it, but the fastball goes away by HS. I have been super lucky so far in HS, not a one has come my way.

I'd respectfully like to know why might grunting hurts a team? I've heard pitchers grunt from barely audible to loud. Now there's a new freshman DI pitcher out of NoCal that yells the same two- or three-word phrase each pitch (I can't understand what she's saying).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12