These HE PCs are killing me...killing me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hopefully her coaches can see beyond their own egos and let her be.

The bummer is that I think it goes beyond egos. In most cases, coaches truly believe a kid could benefit from "better mechanics." They know they have "better knowledge" and believe the kid's mechanics are substandard--even if performance might suggest otherwise. When they believe a kid has faulty mechanics and the kid, parent, etc, disagrees--it makes it frustrating to them that they won't listen. I think that's where the ego gets a little bruised and the circle time could be affected. It's a matter of perspective and they can reference D1 coaches, pitchers, DVD's and Youtube videos everywhere to back them up.

By my estimation, maybe 10% of PC's and coaches who work with pitchers understand whip. If the vast majority of folks believe one way, your way is going to be tough to impose on them. Be as diplomatic as possible, smile and nod, and don't rule out the chance you may need to pursue other options if they're available. If you're stuck with an unbending HS/TB/Rec coach, and moving to another team is not an option; it hopefully doesn't result in the worst-case scenario: the loss of a kid's dream.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We're just going to not be involved in those pitcher workouts, they are optional for girls that want to use the ORGs PC. Then hopefully DD takes care of business in the circle and gets her share. I think she could stake her claim to #1 on this team easily but if she is #2-#3 that is fine by me for a first TB team. If I think she is #4 then that would be a problem unless the other girls had a couple of off nights the times I saw them and have significantly better stuff in games.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
By my estimation, maybe 10% of PC's and coaches who work with pitchers understand whip.

Wow, 10%??? Thanks for that input. Now I really feel blessed to have our PC. He's a mid-60's fastpitch pitcher that can still throw in the low 60s. He recognizes that each pitcher is an individual, but should work within a good framework of mechanics. He drills DD on brush and whip, long and loose arm. No HE, the throwing hand "goes wherever it goes" on release, as long as it's toward the target (no HE). Each lesson he remarks that he loves the slight flex in DDs throwing elbow and her stride leg.

Nov 18, 2013
I'm not really sure if DD is HE or IR. From what I can understand about the two, she started at HE while she learned the basic mechanics. Now that she's older and become more refined my guess is she's gravitated towards what people here call IR.

Is there more to it than that? Is IR more of a natural progression or is there a fundamental difference in styles? I'd never heard of IR until I got here and saw the almost cult following it has. It sure makes for some good reading :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The bummer is that I think it goes beyond egos. In most cases, coaches truly believe a kid could benefit from better mechanics. They know they have better knowledge and believe the kid's mechanics are substandard--even if performance might suggest otherwise. When they believe a kid has faulty mechanics and the kid, parent, etc, disagrees--it makes it frustrating to them that they won't listen. I think that's where the ego gets a little bruised and the circle time could be affected. It's a matter of perspective and in some cases, they have D1 coach, pitcher, DVD, Youtube videos everywhere to back them up.

By my estimation, maybe 10% of PC's and coaches who work with pitchers understand whip. If the vast majority of folks believe one way, your way is going to be tough to impose on them. Be as diplomatic as possible, smile and nod, and don't rule out the chance you may need to pursue other options if they're available. If you're stuck with an unbending HS/TB/Rec coach, and moving to another team is not an option; it hopefully doesn't result in the worst-case scenario: the loss of a kid's dream.

I agree with you Ken. I have my beliefs but I try to be open to any fresh ideas that are communicated civilly. Heck, less than two years ago I was teaching my players to "squish the bug". Someone proposed a different method. I listened. I researched. And I adapted. Then I kicked myself for not learning it sooner :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The coach should only try and change something in a pitcher if it is causing health issues, poor performance, or in some other way is hurting the team (such as grunting). However, I can't stand certain things, like chewing gum, rushing all the time, not having 'mound presence,' and glove slapping, so those have to go, and I will change them. (I can't listen to 100 or more glove slaps every practice, but it comes under health issues anyway with the red leg.)

HE comes under health issues, so I will change it, but the fastball goes away by HS. I have been super lucky so far in HS, not a one has come my way.

Got it, you won't change anything unless you don't like it. Several of the things you list have zero to do with performance by the way and a lot that is simply style you don't like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12