These HE PCs are killing me...killing me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Is there more to it than that? Is IR more of a natural progression or is there a fundamental difference in styles? I'd never heard of IR until I got here and saw the almost cult following it has.

"IR" (as a phrase describing efficient release) is a term often used in the DFP dialect. Common teaching of the release motion uses terms that are proving to be inaccurate based on study of high level mechanics in slow motion. The phrases/terms: hello elbow, wrist snap, straight arm, faster arm circle, slam the door, fingers behind the ball, and a few more, are slowly becoming old school.

The reality is that high level mechanics have always used internal rotation, whip, etc. It seems foreign to many because the old terms have become so ingrained, even at the highest levels. The more we look to slow motion video of high level pitchers, the more apparent it's become that the some of the old teaching is pretty far off.

Once you take a look at a few videos of high level pitcher in slow motion and compare what you observe to the old terms, you'll hopefully start to see that what seems like the cult following of an alternate style; might not be so strange...

Now, that said, just don't go down the hall on the right and enter the 3rd door. Really. That's where the DFP Illuminati perform the rituals. Really--don't go in there. ;)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
My DD along with the 2 other pitchers from her team were asked to help put on a clinic for the local rec league. The instructor in charge went step by step through the HE mechanics she wanted them to use.

On the drive home I asked her how she thought it went. She said "I couldn't really help them because I don't throw the way the instructor was telling them."

I believe I just witnessed a whole new crop of HE pitchers being born. It would be so easy at this stage to start them down the correct path, but just smile & nod you say...(which is what I did.)...why does it feel like I just let down 25 kids?

At least they all took in every word, and had a blast learning to pitch. Lots of laughing and smiling!

Oct 22, 2009
One of my 18u pitchers was being hounded by her new teams HC, for not pushing down the ball and hello elbowing. Even though she was his #1 pitcher he would always tell her she was his worst, but she had promise if she would just change. Of course whenever he needed a win or a game was on the line, that was when she went in. She was also his fastest pitcher.

The head coach was approached by several scouts after a tournament last month asking about her and this made him furious.
He knew that one or more of the coaches had then talked to her and her parents, so he called them over afterward and told them that several scouts and coaches and approached him and told him that he should convince her to change her style--especially he added, the fact that she didn't kick her leg up after the pitch, because he said, they were all in agreement that they would never have a pitcher for their school that didn't HE or kick up her leg.

To say the least, this infuriated her parents that he would outright lie to them and that was the last tournament she played with that team.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At least they all took in every word, and had a blast learning to pitch. Lots of laughing and smiling!
I think this might be why so many good pitchers have come from the dark depths of the HE/wrist snap training dungeons. Just think how much better kids will be when a higher percentage are learning better mechanics because of the I/R in the Classroom and other great threads on DFP. Spread the word to those who will listen and hope the rest will follow!

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Now, that said, just don't go down the hall on the right and enter the 3rd door. Really. That's where the DFP Illuminati perform the rituals. Really--don't go in there. ;)

[sounds emanate hallways... chickens clucking, goats bleating... ]

"Come on, Ken!!! Close the door behind you!

[As door closes behind Ken... you hear a resounding laughter... ]

"BWAHAHAHA!!!"

.... Man, I spend way too much time on here... ;)

Jun 13, 2009
Here's one of my favorites, which has happened a few times:

Coach: Um, sir... who is your DD's PC?
me: Bill Hillhouse
Coach: Oh, that explains it. I see.
Me. explains what?
Coach: well, the way she pitches. She is pitching like a man.
Me: Oh, I guess I didn't realize there was a difference. Who would you prefer my DD see as a coach?
Coach: Most of our pitchers see "John Doe" or "Joe Blow".

The irony that their coaches are men escapes them. Somehow they have more insight on female pitching than someone who actually pitches for a living.

CG

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Here's one of my favorites, which has happened a few times:

Coach: Um, sir... who is your DD's PC?
me: Bill Hillhouse
Coach: Oh, that explains it. I see.
Me. explains what?
Coach: well, the way she pitches. She is pitching like a man.
Me: Oh, I guess I didn't realize there was a difference. Who would you prefer my DD see as a coach?
Coach: Most of our pitchers see "John Doe" or "Joe Blow".

The irony that their coaches are men escapes them. Somehow they have more insight on female pitching than someone who actually pitches for a living.

CG

Yup, there is frequently the opinion that you couldn't possibly be doing good for/with your daughter. Especially if you belong to the dark side--IR. The problem is generally that they don't even grasp IR.

Being curious and humble is key, and it isn't all that common.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
We'll see, if she does what she can do, then I am sure she will get enough innings, if she let's herself slip either mentally or mechanically then she will be fighting for innings against a coaches daughter and two girls with seniority on the team and she will get a lot less. As the surfer dude turtle says in FINDING NEMO.."let's see what squirt does flying solo"

This one hit me like a ton of bricks when I read it...good reminder for me...sometimes I need to back away myself and see what my squirt can do flying solo! Thanks JJ!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal