The worst kind of parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I have had my share of parents that made me want to pull out my hair[so I keep it short]. But the worst kind of parent is one like who's DD I coached for five years.

This girl was not the best or the worst she did try awfull hard though, But the amazing thing is that in five full seasons, three LL two HS jv I NEVER met her parents. I talked very breifly on the phone with them but never even saw them. her older brother was her ride.

Here is what I find crazy about this. As your DD's coach I will spend 2-3 hours each day with her at practice. If we go to a long distance tourney I will be with her 2-3 days. On bus trips in school I will be with her for 8-12 hours. So if I am to spend this much time with who I will assume is at least one of the most precious people in your life, Why would you not want to meet me and see if you approve?

When my children played sports I ALWAYS went to the first practice and made a point to meet the coach and I always watched a few practices. I also went to all parent meetings and parent -team funtions.

You know they may not be bad folks , But Me I wanted to know who was spending this much time with my kids in a mentor type role.

Maybe I am old School but I think this is just nuts.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
My wife and I were talking about this sort of thing the other day.

There is a kid who plays HS sports with my DD; occasionally she will ask us for a ride home (15 miles one way out of our way) when there is no other way for her to get home. We would NEVER allow a kid to be stuck so far away from home so we will give her a ride home.

Not ONCE has the kids parents thanked us or anything. We are stunned.

May 25, 2010

There is a kid who plays HS sports with my DD; occasionally she will ask us for a ride home (15 miles one way out of our way) when there is no other way for her to get home. We would NEVER allow a kid to be stuck so far away from home so we will give her a ride home.

Many of us are very thankful that parents like you are around to help look after those who really do need it most.

Despite the parents' lack of concern for their child and their poor manners, I have to believe that the child really appreciates the time you give to her. She herself may have no way to repay you now, but in 20 years, she'll be the woman who does all the little things to help provide opportunities to others in the community.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have had my share of parents that made me want to pull out my hair[so I keep it short]. But the worst kind of parent is one like who's DD I coached for five years.

This girl was not the best or the worst she did try awfull hard though, But the amazing thing is that in five full seasons, three LL two HS jv I NEVER met her parents. I talked very breifly on the phone with them but never even saw them. her older brother was her ride.

Here is what I find crazy about this. As your DD's coach I will spend 2-3 hours each day with her at practice. If we go to a long distance tourney I will be with her 2-3 days. On bus trips in school I will be with her for 8-12 hours. So if I am to spend this much time with who I will assume is at least one of the most precious people in your life, Why would you not want to meet me and see if you approve?

When my children played sports I ALWAYS went to the first practice and made a point to meet the coach and I always watched a few practices. I also went to all parent meetings and parent -team funtions.

You know they may not be bad folks , But Me I wanted to know who was spending this much time with my kids in a mentor type role.

Maybe I am old School but I think this is just nuts.

Too bad you didn't know this from day one, I would have made her a pitcher.

A coaches dream a pitcher without parents.

Mar 13, 2010

This isn't a new thing. My grandparents used to do the same with my dad. Never watched him play sport, never took him to training. Had no intrest really. It dragged over to me and my brother (have never seen me play a game of softball in my life. I've been playing 25 years. They found it boring. Even when my tournaments were 5 minutes from their house couldn't be bothered. Of course they watched EVERY t-ball game my cousins ever played. Bitter, me?) It's very sad but there's not a lot people can do about it.

Dec 18, 2010
Too bad you didn't know this from day one, I would have made her a pitcher.

A coaches dream a pitcher without parents.

TOO TRUE!! When hiring lobbyists they should recruit pitchers' parents. But to get back to original subject I can't tell you how many times I've had to wait up to 45 min after practice was over for a parent to pick their DD up.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My folks ran their own business. I rode my bike to the games. If it was too dark, I got a ride home. But, it was a very small town and it was 1964. :)

Parents should at the very least meet the coach and arrange rides. 15 miles, is a little extreme.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Wow, I'm on the complete other side of the fence. My parents (well at least 1 of them) were at every single game I had. Even in HS they would attend away games sometimes 3 hours away.

I only missed 2 games this year from my DD HS team (only because it was a tournament and I work at the times the games were scheduled).

I feel bad for kids where their parents are not involved, OTOH sometimes too much parent involvement isn't good either. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma