The worst kind of parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The circumstances and reasons may vary, but often the kid that needs a ride is the kid who benefits most from the sport or activity.

Feb 9, 2009
I rode my bike to and from practice every day. My dad was in the military and my mom had other kids to take care of...they NEVER came to a practice, and very few games. Who cares? I did it because I like playing ball, not because I ached for their approval. And I'm pretty sure my coach did it because he loved coaching, not to show the other parents what an awesome guy he was.

I think this board gets a "tad" overly dramatic sometimes. Seriously? THIS is the worst kind of parent, the ones who don't camp out at softball practice? Not the ones who abuse their kids? Not the ones who abandon their kids? Not the ones who sell them on EBay or Craigslist? Not the ones who let religious zealots marry their DD to a 75 year old dude when they're 8? Not the ones who let a bomb get strapped to their bellies?
I know it's just semantics, but jeeze...

Jan 25, 2011
well, stephanie that was good for you,but my cousins dd played for me.Her mom and dad just could get themselfs off their bar stools long enough to watch anything that kid does.You have to know the stories before you judge everybody!

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
and who likened school and youth sports to a babysitting service?
I feel sorry for the child whose parents take no interest in her activities

As a kid I played soccer for 8 years, and the only parents who came to games regularly were the coaches. The other parents only came when they needed to provide rides for games that were too far to go by bicycle. That did not show a lack of interest, and as kids we did not feel this as a lack of interest. Sports was simply a game we played for the fun of it, not as entertainment for adults, not with a goal of reaching college (this was not in the US). We needed the parents for this no more than we'd need the parents when playing hide and seek.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I think this board gets a "tad" overly dramatic sometimes. Seriously? THIS is the worst kind of parent, the ones who don't camp out at softball practice? Not the ones who sell them on EBay or Craigslist? Not the ones who let religious zealots marry their DD to a 75 year old dude when they're 8? Not the ones who let a bomb get strapped to their bellies?

Good thing there's no drama in this quote :p

Nov 8, 2010
...very true!!

The circumstances and reasons may vary, but often the kid that needs a ride is the kid who benefits most from the sport or activity.

It does often amaze me that some parents have absolutely no interest in their kids activities or things they develop a passion for. I've run into this many times and I will readily admit, some of these girls' stories are pretty sad when it comes to their home life. While it might hurt to see these situations, I'm also inspired by the tenacity of these kids and what softball (or other sports) does for their self confidence. Greenmonsters comment is exactly right. The player that gets dropped off at practice and needs rides home all the time with her parents not being involved are often some of the hardest working, enthusiastic, team players you will ever find! Strange...but true!

Dec 28, 2008
I'm fairly certain my daughter dreams of having parents like that on occasion. ;-)

That could well be the case. If they didn't like you it's not like they are going to convince their DD to quit or something because they know how much it means to them. They take the risk of saying something "stupid" (probably based on experience) that could cause you to limit their DD's playing time. So they just sit back and let you do your job.

I have been blessed in my career that I have never really had the typical commute for work each day except, typically been 30 minutes or less with a pretty flexible schedule. But for 3 miserable months of my life I did have to endure the typical Atlanta, GA 1 1/2 hour plus commute each way. Leaving in the dark and arriving home in the dark. For those 3 months I would never have been able to see a single thing my daughter participated in, fortunately they were in college at the time. As a coach that 3 months of misery gave me a whole new perspective of those parents who have to do that day in and day out.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
This isn't a new thing. My grandparents used to do the same with my dad. Never watched him play sport, never took him to training. Had no intrest really. It dragged over to me and my brother (have never seen me play a game of softball in my life. I've been playing 25 years. They found it boring. Even when my tournaments were 5 minutes from their house couldn't be bothered. Of course they watched EVERY t-ball game my cousins ever played. Bitter, me?) It's very sad but there's not a lot people can do about it.

Hey Lozza, do you know my in-laws?????

I have kids playing at multiple levels.

My oldest plays HS football. It amazes me how many parents would NOT come to their kid's game. I just think of how frustrating it is for the JV kids to look up in the stands and see 5 sets of parents up there out of 25 kids. How that must make the ones feel with no one there to see how hard they work or their outstanding play.

Now on the flip side of this, DD2 plays at 8U. Just about every girl on the team has aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, and grandparents at EVERY game. The stands are packed!

For my kids, I am at every game and practice unless there is a scheduling conflict. (Practice for my older DD, mainly for the distance, but also to help out when/if needed.) The last game my mother-in-law saw of DD1 was her 1st game of middle school, last August. The last game she saw of DD1 before that was (and the only one my father in law has ever seen) was October some 2 years ago. I think that was also the only game they have seen DD2 play. She has never seen DS2 play t-ball and he is on his 3rd season. But like Lozza, they go to all my nieces' dance stuff and used to watch my oldest niece play t-ball when she did years ago. (Oh and then brags how my oldest niece, who is kinda heavy around the middle, has these muscular thighs from all these years of dance and then calls my DD thunder thighs instead of realizing they are from catching and are also muscular.)

I don't care if my child took up underwater basket weaving and it bored me to tears, I would still be there to support them in their interests. And learn as much about it as I could, so I could at least understand it.

The least these parents could do, is meet you in the driveway to say thank you. I do agree that we don't know the whole story, but that doesn't trump manners!

Mar 13, 2010
For my kids, I am at every game and practice unless there is a scheduling conflict. (Practice for my older DD, mainly for the distance, but also to help out when/if needed.) The last game my mother-in-law saw of DD1 was her 1st game of middle school, last August. The last game she saw of DD1 before that was (and the only one my father in law has ever seen) was October some 2 years ago. I think that was also the only game they have seen DD2 play. She has never seen DS2 play t-ball and he is on his 3rd season. But like Lozza, they go to all my nieces' dance stuff and used to watch my oldest niece play t-ball when she did years ago. (Oh and then brags how my oldest niece, who is kinda heavy around the middle, has these muscular thighs from all these years of dance and then calls my DD thunder thighs instead of realizing they are from catching and are also muscular.)

I don't care if my child took up underwater basket weaving and it bored me to tears, I would still be there to support them in their interests. And learn as much about it as I could, so I could at least understand it.

The least these parents could do, is meet you in the driveway to say thank you. I do agree that we don't know the whole story, but that doesn't trump manners!

That's exactly it. (and dancing doesn't give thick thighs) I remember at 20 asking my other grandma if she wanted to come to the netball grand final with me as our state was in it. Her answer was 'Dear Goodness no, I hate that sport' I got very confused as she'd watched me play once a month for the six years I played the sport. (and all the semis) When I querried her on it the answer I got was 'Lauren, I hated the sport, but I loved you and you were playing, therefore I was there' I was honestly dumbfounded because I had never known (these same grandparents saw nearly every game of sb I played till I was 16 but they were heavily involved in the sport so they were there regardless) Your daughters hopefully will take the same attitude I have, that it's their loss not mine. I was lucky enough to have two wonderful grandparents. That's a lot more than most people get. My nana now wants a closer relationship but that boat has sailed. (this is the same woman who got up at my youngest cousin's 21st and said 'YoungCousin is my favourite granddaughter. I just love her so much!' I remember looking at my other female cousin (who had gotten pregenant while not married so that's why she went from favoured to barely spoken to) and laughing. All their friends were horrified but for me it was only conformation of something I'd already known)

And I agree with you on the manners. If you're doing the right thing and dropping their kid home, you can always come out and say a simple thank you.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06