The Texas Charge folded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If my dd didn't play softball, I am sure that I wouldn't have a connection to the NPF. The point I am trying to make is that at this point in time, society in general, has little interest in watching female athletes----including many females. (Yes, women can have sexist views too) It is rooted in sexism. I don't expect to enlighten you or change your pov, however maybe you can refeain from being so dismissive of a view that differs from yours.

Have a good night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Rooted in sexism" is a bit extreme. It discounts factors such as product quality, accessibility, and tradition, which are pretty significant parts of the equation. I'm not saying sexism isn't a factor, but it's not the only thing involved. (IMO, YMMV)

Also...you sound pretty dismissive of a different point of view - lol ;)

Jul 14, 2017
"Rooted in sexism" is a bit extreme.

Also...you sound pretty dismissive of a different point of view - lol ;)

Just to be clear- the rooted in sexism comment wasn't about the failure or success of the NPF, it was society's lack of support, enthusiasm and respect for female athletes.

Dismissed

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I agree with [MENTION=5070]marriard[/MENTION] – the model isn’t working.
1. They need stronger corporate sponsorship beyond bat sponsors……Revlon, Loreal, Cover girl, Car makers, Soda companies, Target, etc.
2. Build a potential MLB relationship – similar to the NBA and WNBA – imagine if each MLB team chipped in $100K each to the NPF.

I also agree with [MENTION=1182]Eric[/MENTION] – they need better venues and a team where the population can support them.
While I get travel and living costs are major reasons why the teams are located where they are, it dies make growing your market harder.
They need to grow their viewership to help develop the demand. Since they have limited advertising support, they must buy airtime to get the games on tv. There are other ways to get games viewed –
How about a partnership with Flo Softball.
There are things that can be done to pump more life into this but it takes “flipping the script”.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If my dd didn't play softball, I am sure that I wouldn't have a connection to the NPF. The point I am trying to make is that at this point in time, society in general, has little interest in watching female athletes----including many females. (Yes, women can have sexist views too) It is rooted in sexism. I don't expect to enlighten you or change your pov, however maybe you can refrain from being so dismissive of a view that differs from yours.

Have a good night.

I see that you edited my comment in your quote. Bad form...either take the whole thing, or break it up. You removed a whole lot of context by cherry-picking two sentences and placing them together.

Enlighten me??? From your previous posts, I assume you to be a female. Whining about sexism being the reason that NPF can't get off the ground while admitting that YOU wouldn't care about it if you own DD didn't play is just a bit contradictory. Thanks for helping me make my point, albeit in the part you left out of the quote.

It isn't "sexist" to understand and accept the reality that as athletes, very few, if any, women can compete with men at the top level of any pro sport. If there were, we'd find women playing with men in the NFL, NBA, MLB, or the PGA. There's nothing inherently limiting about that in the grand scheme of life, unless you want to wallow in the culture of gender victimhood.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd was approached about the possibility of playing with a team in St. Louis if one could get off of the ground. The interest in those people was trying to have a local girl or two on the roster who could speak to the community from a first hand basis as well as approach local business for support. That didn't get off the ground but I thought was an interesting concept. From the games that we have attended in Chicago and ones where my dd played against the Chicago Bandits, those were fun family oriented affairs where interacting with the young players in attendance was a primary focus for team members. Those games were well attended. Still, I know that many of the players struggled to make ends meet.

Feb 27, 2017
I think the NPF should play at Tourney locations. Imagine a 200 field team, watching NPF in the evenings of the tourneys. I think they should build into the travel ball ranks. Imagine a BATBUSTERS team where the travel ball clubs are the feeders, sorta like GOLD teams. I think they should be in lower size populations like a OK CITY, Chattanooga, Myrtle Beach. I went and saw the Rebellon VS the SCRAPYARD DOGS in MB two summers ago. There were over 3k each night on a baseball field. Build complexes that have one championship size stadium, and let the NPF play in those stadiums.

Jun 29, 2013
Supply and demand, it is simple as that. Capitalism isn't sexists. Also poor marketing and management isn't sexists as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If we were talking about an actual sport I could buy that, but cornhole is a game. Just like every other activity that you get better at while drinking, this is not a sport and should never be televised. It’s about as interesting on tv as watching bridge but someone in Bristol decided it needed to grace our screens

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Next thing we'll be watching Netball and pickle ball on TV. Oops - too late.

Wonder if there are college scholarships?? Lol

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
One of the problems with the NPF is they are playing at the same time their fan base is. Rec teams play most of the their games during the week. Travel plays the bulk of theirs on the weekends. Hard to draw fans away from playing the game.

I know Bandits market pretty aggressively. I'm on their email list from coaching and get emails regularly from them. They have a 1st class stadium and they still have trouble drawing fans. Bill Sokolis recently turned the ownership of the team over to the village or Rosemont.

If you read about the history of the ABA. They played in hangers and other similar venues until the NBA and ABA merged.

Spoke with my DD's PC who is a former player for the Akron Racers about this issue. She said that the because most of the NPF players are college coaches the Summer season is the only time they can play where it doesn't conflict with their college coaching jobs. If you were to change the season to say the Fall you would either have to lose players who have to go back to their college teams or you would have to pay them a living wage so that they could be full time players.

Mar 1, 2016
One of the problems with the NPF is they are playing at the same time their fan base is. Rec teams play most of the their games during the week. Travel plays the bulk of theirs on the weekends. Hard to draw fans away from playing the game.

Agree completely. My DD's have been playing for about 10 years, and I've never been to a NPF game. Had the opportunity once when oldest DD was playing in a tournament at the Scrapyard at the exact same time the Dawgs were playing. For some reason I chose to watch my daughter play instead of walking 400 feet to watch the Dawgs play. I don't know what came over me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott