The Texas Charge folded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
So because you never watched it or someone else never watched it makes them sexist?? That was your original premise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

No my premise was and is, that people tend to watch sports which they played and/or have a kid who plays the sport. That isn't sexist imo.

Edit: In addition, for sports where there are varying levels of ability for example in college sports D1, D2 and D3, people tend to want to watch the highest
level of play. Eric mentioned this as well.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Would you watch the NPF if you never had a daughter or you had a daughter but she never played softball? As I stated in my first post on this topic, sports is watched in a large majority by men for various reasons and people tend to watch sports which they played growing up either competitively or recreationally. I never watched a softball game on tv until my daughter started playing even though my sister was a very good softball player and I have a cousin who played in college and in one of the earlier versions of professional softball. I don't believe I am sexist...I now would rather watch a college softball game then a college baseball game.

Valid point. If my kids had never played softball, I probably wouldn't give a damn about the sport - at any level.

EDIT: It has nothing at all to do with being sexist. It has to do with emotional investment level.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Do you find baseball faster and more dynamic than softball? I am not talking about how long a game lasts, I am talking about comparing a grounder it to third in baseball and in softball. At bat, does a college softball player have more time to react to a pitch than a college baseball player has?

No. I consider them different sports.

Compare NBA vs. WNBA - same court, same basket.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Most, if not all SEC teams sellout every home game, not just the tourney

Yes, I watch many other games and I see that the crowds are often impressive. I was pointing out that how good the tournaments are makes the NPF regular season games look worse.

Jul 14, 2017
Wait, where is the person that said NPF players only got paid poorly because od sexism. Now she can buy the team and show us how wrong everyone was.

Not sure if you are referring to me and comments I made on another post about female athletes not getting even a fraction of what MLB players get.

After a few back and forths, I let the conversation drop because I don't feel like hopping on the PC train. But since you asked, are you seriously trying to say that it is not sexist???? Society does not see women as equal athletes to men- plain and simple. Therefore, the teams in the NPF do not generate millions of dollars. I get that it boils down to $, but until society sees female athletes as equals to their male counterparts, there is not a shot in hell. Or maybe, to make more $, the NPF players should should start playing in bikinis?

And btw, great idea.... if I ever win the lotto, I'll buy a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2017
Supply and demand, it is simple as that. Capitalism isn't sexists. Also poor marketing and management isn't sexists as well.

I'm not even done reading all your replies..... give me a break... who created the concept of Capitalism???? MEN. I get it that you don't want to board the PC train, but don't make ish up. Call a spade, a spade!!!!

And if ALL women watched the NPF solely because of women players, that would be sexist.

A perfect example to prove your logic wrong.....Ronda Rousey fights generated millions of dollars for the UFC. So many male fans dislike her because she is "cocky and arrogant". (Hello, she is a fighter not a flight attendent.) Many of those same males LOVE Connor McGregor. Is he not cocky and arrogant? What is the difference???

Sorry, rant over- I have to cook dinner and it must be that special time of the month.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Valid point. If my kids had never played softball, I probably wouldn't give a damn about the sport - at any level.

EDIT: It has nothing at all to do with being sexist. It has to do with emotional investment level.

Exactly right. Ten years ago, I barely knew what FP softball was beyond the fact that several members of my coed team had played it, and they were pretty darn good SP players. Fast-forward to present day, my DD turned me into someone who would rather watch a FP game than baseball, or football, or basketball. It has nothing to do with "sexism" and far more to do with what you find interesting. For the vast majority of sports consumers, it is just that. People watch what they grew up watching, and unless something catches their attention, they don't branch out. Assertions about how pro fastpitch can't turn a profit because of sexism or that capitalism was invented by MEN are silly and juvenile arguments.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Not sure if you are referring to me and comments I made on another post about female athletes not getting even a fraction of what MLB players get.

After a few back and forths, I let the conversation drop because I don't feel like hopping on the PC train. But since you asked, are you seriously trying to say that it is not sexist???? Society does not see women as equal athletes to men- plain and simple. Therefore, the teams in the NPF do not generate millions of dollars. I get that it boils down to $, but until society sees female athletes as equals to their male counterparts, there is not a shot in hell. Or maybe, to make more $, the NPF players should should start playing in bikinis?

And btw, great idea.... if I ever win the lotto, I'll buy a team.

The difference is with men's sports you have a history and with most women's sports we are writing that history now. There were more softball fans in 1987 than 1977 and even more in 1997, 2007, and now 2017. You had women who were the first ones to compete in the WCWS and they went on to become mentors, coaches, and mothers. They instilled the love of the game in a new group of young girls. The next group was larger and they too passed on that love. it is a continuing cycle that has played out over 40 years versus 140. Softball has to win fans that are not familiar with the sport and by having our DD's play it is happening. The only sports I used to watch were the ones I had competed in. Now I will watch softball over any of them with the exception of college football.

The NPF could definitely do some things differently to drum up fan and corporate support. Watching an NPF game is not as exciting as college games to me. There are no natural rivalries and it is too spread out. Hit cities in softball hotbeds and build off the steady teams they have now. We also need to get all of these companies that want to say so much about equality to put their money where their mouth is. How about Dannon step up to the plate? They dropped Newton over comments he made that were much less disparaging than so many others so here's their chance to really help women. Why can't Coke or Home Depot sponsor a team in their hometown of Atlanta? There are big corporations all over this country that could follow the Japanese model and really help the league while also gaining a marketing advantage. Imagine the Coca Cola Classics. How about the Home Depot Buzz Saw playing in the Lumber Yard? Base the team around women who played college at Ga Tech, UGA or other Ga schools. I could just see Birmingham having a the Region's Bank Bat Busters brought to you by St Vincent's Hospitals Women's Center playing at UAB's field with women that went to school in Alabama. You would have natural fan bases. If companies like that spent just a minuscule amount of their advertising budget on a team it would still be able to pay the players a decent wage. A $600,000 dollar investment coming from multiple companies could pay the players on average $40,000 a piece.

Could you imagine if PGF and USA Softball had teams in Socal and OKC? Too much competition and in fighting for that to ever happen but it would be huge for the game.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Exactly right. Ten years ago, I barely knew what FP softball was beyond the fact that several members of my coed team had played it, and they were pretty darn good SP players. Fast-forward to present day, my DD turned me into someone who would rather watch a FP game than baseball, or football, or basketball. It has nothing to do with "sexism" and far more to do with what you find interesting. For the vast majority of sports consumers, it is just that. People watch what they grew up watching, and unless something catches their attention, they don't branch out. Assertions about how pro fastpitch can't turn a profit because of sexism or that capitalism was invented by MEN are silly and juvenile arguments.

I don't think the sexism argument is completely without validity. There are certainly plenty of people - we've probably all come across them - who do think less of women as athletes. This is an unfortunate fact of our current society, and it does stack the deck against an organization like NPF from becoming successful. That said - and has been noted in this thread - NPF could be doing a much better job with what they have.

Jul 14, 2017
Fast-forward to present day, my DD turned me into someone who would rather watch a FP game than baseball, or football, or basketball. Assertions about how pro fastpitch can't turn a profit because of sexism or that capitalism was invented by MEN are silly and juvenile arguments.
If my dd didn't play softball, I am sure that I wouldn't have a connection to the NPF. The point I am trying to make is that at this point in time, society in general, has little interest in watching female athletes----including many females. (Yes, women can have sexist views too) It is rooted in sexism. I don't expect to enlighten you or change your pov, however maybe you can refrain from being so dismissive of a view that differs from yours.

Have a good night.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA